Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by CSS803

I was at Carroll Ave today 7/23/11 and saw 2 GMTX locomotives in the back of South Shore Freight's maintenance facility. I have no idea what they are doing there. They wern't there 3 days ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by CSS803

another picture, sorry about the quality, i used my cell phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Tadman

If you see my post on the heat, there's equally crummy pics but in mine they were coupled nose-to-nose. This answers my speculation that they were storing the geeps for GMTX - they are not storing them if they are operable and moved often. Maybe a traffic uptick? I need to see my source...
  by justalurker66

Those caught my eye when I passed through today ... the engines were uncoupled when I saw them (although the yellow one was coupled to the freight cars as seen in this thread).

GMTX 2668
GMTX 2171
  by justalurker66

I need to get more bold with my photography ... you have some good shots there that probably would not have taken (even though there is nothing wrong with the shots).
  by Tadman

38's. You can tell by a few things. Only two radiator fans (over the aft grille); very square airbox immediately forward of the dynamic brakes area; loud guttural exhaust (turbos found on 40's mute the exhaust sound).