• Changes at Cape Rail

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by ritrains

Speaking of changes and new ideas, Mass Coastal has a private business car on the railroad for this week and next. Tours of the car, short rides on it for ferry moves and evening dinner charters for up to 12 passengers are all available by calling Cape Cod Central's reservations number. If you'd like to see it or ride it, check out the nyc-3.com web site and then call Cape Cod Central for the schedule and fare.
  by MickD

Saw the private car out in Hyannis yard today..
Too bad Cape Rail doesn't have a beauty like
that in their roster !!!
  by frrc

Wondering why Kennedy is leaving the company ?
  by atlantis

The cynical/conspiracy theory part of me thinks that John Kennedy may have been kind of forced out because of his strong stance on passenger service.

The "talk of the town" is that maybe the new owners won't be as pushy with the passenger service so at the behest of the state, and the special interests it's protecting, kind of encouraged the board of directors to force a leadership change. I want to stress that this is wild speculation on my part, but if you look at the pattern that this state operates by announcing that it's "working on" getting passenger rail and is talking with CCC management, then throws a wrench in the works by saying there's "no money" for the rail service, and subsequently thinks up of "101 excuses" as to why it won't work. Many of the excuses are often announced by so-called rail supporter Tom Cahir, who once announcing that rail service would be a good thing, immediately follows with a comment of: "there's no money now," or the "grade crossings need upgrading," and another one recently in the Cape Cod Times. "People living next to the track may not want the trains running by their houses." Never mind that the active rail line has been in place for over 150 years.
Whether intentional or not, these excuses only serve to embolden and enable the opposition, while a good many of the rail supporters, (but not all) IMHO are timid as it is.
Anyway, that's my observation, and as flawed as it may be, others have been thinking the same way. When you realize that Cape Rail has been pushing for this low-cost proposal for years, and the pattern keeps repeating, and yet more roads are built while our tax-funded rail infrastructure is not used to its fullest potential, how can one not help but form that opinion?

Maybe I'm missing something, I sure hope so.
  by masscoastalfan

For those interested, I do not know if it has been reported here yet, that CCC 1502 and 1201 were scrapped the other day at East Wareham. Here's the remains of 1502.
  by Reader#108

So much for 1502 being almost ready to return to service.....and it is a shame that 1201 couldn't have been saved in some capacity...not many of those locos left....I would have to say that this paves the way for the F-Unit to come down from the GU.....
  by CVRA7

Ah, the new regime is making itself known. They are probably not interested in keeping anything that doesn't have value to their operation. Look what happened to the old items at the G&U.
  by Stag Hound

Correct me if I'm wrong CVRA7 but I do believe you had a real "affinity" for the 1201 back in the day!
  by atsf sp

Surprised no one tried to pick up the 1201. I know it was probably never going to run again but it did have history and it was the face of the Cape Cods passenger trains on the brochures and ads.
  by daylight4449

CVRA7 wrote:Ah, the new regime is making itself known. They are probably not interested in keeping anything that doesn't have value to their operation. Look what happened to the old items at the G&U.
Yah, sad as it is, but if the engine needs work that could keep it from revenue earning service, it might make sense to scrap it to get some money that can be invested in locomotives that are in better mechanical shape. Doesn't mean it's sad to hear, and see the results of.
  by MickD

I asked one of the engimeers on the Scenic train back
in the spring what was goin' on with both of those,and I
mentioned that I was surprised that Cape Rail didn't go
after one of the Metro North Fs and he commented that
there was just no money for either at the time.
  by Reader#108

I also spoke to some folks there as well.....

1201 needed a ton of work done to get her repaired and operational.....radiators, etc....there was alot of back and forth as to

whether or not they were going to sink the money into her.....1502 is a bit of a surprise.....I had been told and read in a few different places

that 1502 was going to be finished either this fall or winter and would be ready to travel next year.....VERY disappointing considering that

there is info saying yay and you come back froma weekend away and she is going to be a mooring ball in the Harbor this winter instead