• Stretch of rebuilt track immediately north of Fox Chase

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by stump

So back around June, a neatly arranged row of brand new wooden ties materialized between the Rhawn Street crossing and the derelict NORTH FOX switch.

A few weeks ago, rails appeared on them.

Sometime during the past couple weeks, the stretch was connected to the existing rails at both ends - the Rhawn Street crossing and the switch.

At that point, I figured that SEPTA was just putting back what got torn up during the reconstruction of Fox Chase station. But tonight I saw that the buffer stop preventing access to the Rhawn Street crossing and the newly-replaced track is gone (for now, placed on the other station track, behind its existing buffer stop), replaced with a derail and barricade sign.

I'll bet SEPTA is reviving that bit of track to use as extra layup space, given how overcrowded the yards are getting as more and more Silverliner Vs arrive from Hyundai-Rotem. If so, this project seems like an odd choice to me since it results in just one train worth of layup space at a terminal that seems to be operating really well already without any such space, and it would also involve restoring the Rhawn Street crossing warning equipment for the sake of such a small bit of track beyond it (though I guess they could resort to flagging if they're not going to be moving stuff on and off the new track very much during times when Rhawn is busy), but it seems like the only plausible explanation to me. (I didn't notice whether the fresh track has been properly re-electrified yet, but if that hasn't happened, it certainly will soon if my suspicions are true.) Anyone know anything about this or have any interesting thoughts about it?

(I have no photos as I've been going by this area at night, without my camera with me. I might post some pictures later, but by all means feel free to beat me to it if you're going to be in the Fox Chase area.)
  by nomis

Just drove by the station today, and without wire to be strung the most logical reasoning for the change in barricade is to stage & store trackcars for the trackwork starting next week along the line ...

And no pics from me either, maybe i can stop by in a day or two with the camera in hand ...
  by aem7

None of the reasons above. Mid-day brush cutting starts next week for 12 weeks, need a place to mobilize the equipment.
  by trackwelder

hmm, that much closer to newtown.
  by nomis

Work did not start on Monday due to Irene, should start work and bustituting on tues.
  by nomis

Article from neastphilly.com about the work.
The interruption in service is due to a tie replacement project on the Fox Chase Line. SEPTA has moved in a track gang to replace ties on the line and constructed a temporary rail yard at Rhawn Street and Elberon Avenue to stage equipment.

SEPTA tampers, ballast regulators, tie machines and workers line the tracks during these hours.
nice pic attached
  by Tritransit Area

What was the next station north of Fox Chase on the old Newtown Line and how far away was it from Fox Chase?

Also, are they replacing the ties with concrete or just the good old fashioned wood?
  by tgolanos

Tritransit Area wrote:What was the next station north of Fox Chase on the old Newtown Line and how far away was it from Fox Chase?

Also, are they replacing the ties with concrete or just the good old fashioned wood?
The next station by the time the line was shut down was Walnut Hill, on Moredon Road, about a mile-and-a-half north of Fox Chase. Way back when, there was station in Rockledge Borough, but the name escapes me. It was closed in the 30s, I think.
  by Tritransit Area

tgolanos wrote:
Tritransit Area wrote:What was the next station north of Fox Chase on the old Newtown Line and how far away was it from Fox Chase?

The next station by the time the line was shut down was Walnut Hill, on Moredon Road, about a mile-and-a-half north of Fox Chase. Way back when, there was station in Rockledge Borough, but the name escapes me. It was closed in the 30s, I think.
Ah I see, thanks for the information! I guess outside of Rockledge, the line doesn't pass through a dense community before reaching the West Trenton Line.
  by limejuice

tgolanos wrote:

Strangely enough, the name of that station was Rockledge. There was also another station between there and Walnut Hill called Harpers. Part of what I believe had been a coal tipple still remains there, and can be seen from the trail.
  by tgolanos

limejuice wrote:Strangely enough, the name of that station was Rockledge. There was also another station between there and Walnut Hill called Harpers. Part of what I believe had been a coal tipple still remains there, and can be seen from the trail.
Harpers was the one I was thinking of.
  by add2718

limejuice wrote:There was also another station between there and Walnut Hill called Harpers. Part of what I believe had been a coal tipple still remains there, and can be seen from the trail.
Neat, I'll have to look for that the next time I walk the trail.