• Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain RR H&BTM

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

by PAHistory

I am doing research on the H&BTM. Other than still existing stations at Huntingdon, Riddlesburg, Hopewell, Everett, Broad Top City (moved to Dudley) and bridges Tatesville (was there in 2001), Huntingdon (was there in 2004) does anyone have any information whether these stations/depots/flag stops are still standing? The list is as follows: Brumbaugh, Rommel (Coaldale), Entriken, Hummel (Beaver), Cove, Clark, Brallier, Tatesville, Lutzville, Brumbaugh, Hickory Hil, Heilner, Defiance, Langdondale, Kearney, Sandy Run, Bloody Run, Mt. Dallas, Wolfsburg, Napier, Sulpher Springs, Londenderry, Preston, Bridgeport, Cumberland. I got the names of the stations from the PRR list of stations and also from the H&BTM employee timetable. I have looked at all of the websites (kc.pennsyrr.com; www.bbandbrr.com, etc. and books Baughman's From Coal to Glory) that had any information. Any help (and photographs!) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
  by Aa3rt

PAHistory-In the event you're not aware of it, there's also a Yahoo Group for the BB&B that is heavy into the history of the H&BTM. There are a bunch of friendly and knowledgeable folks (Many of them locals.) who can most likely answer your questions. You can find the BB&B Yahoo Group here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/bbandbrr/

I have Baughmann and Taylor's "From Coal To Glory-The History Of The Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad And Coal Company", Volume 2 covering 1874-1900 and have been anxiously waiting on Volume 3 covering 1900 to the end (1953?) for a number of years now. My understanding is that it is "a work in progress" but the progress is VERY slow. If you have any updates on the status of Volume 3 I'd be most appreciative.
  by HBTM M-39

PAHistory,

Of the stations that you listed, some were H&BT-owned and others were PRR. The list breaks down as follows:

[H&BT]
Brumbaugh, Rommel (Coaldale), Entriken, Hummel (Beaver), Cove, Clark, Brallier, Tatesville, Lutzville, Brumbaugh, Hickory Hil, Heilner, Defiance, Langdondale, Kearney, Sandy Run, Bloody Run, Mt. Dallas

[PRR]
Wolfsburg, Napier, Sulpher Springs, Londenderry, Preston, Bridgeport, Cumberland

Of the above, only the station in Cumberland, which was built and owned by the Western Maryland and used by the PRR, remains. It is in use by the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.

The H&BT station in Huntingdon, which sat on the south side the mainline from the PRR station, was removed by NS a few years ago. The Huntingdon yard office is still in existence at the Huntingdon County Fair Grounds, however. Also, Bloody Run was renamed Everett in 1873, but the depot and freight house in existence there post-date the name change, so technically, they're not from Bloody Run.

Hope this helps,
Keith

Keith Burkey
www.bbandbrr.com
  by HBTM M-39

Aa3rt wrote:I have Baughmann and Taylor's "From Coal To Glory-The History Of The Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad And Coal Company", Volume 2 covering 1874-1900 and have been anxiously waiting on Volume 3 covering 1900 to the end (1953?) for a number of years now. My understanding is that it is "a work in progress" but the progress is VERY slow. If you have any updates on the status of Volume 3 I'd be most appreciative.
Work on Volume 3 has not yet begun, Art. Ron and Jon have been busy with other projects, with Ron just finishing up a book on Robertsdale, PA, and Jon working on projects relating to Bedford Springs.

Keith
  by Aa3rt

Thanks for the update Keith-guess I won't be holding my breath awaiting the book's release.