• Signalman/Freight Car Repairman

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by RabidDog

I originally was going to be hired as a Conductor but changed my mind as I did research into the position. I plan on having a family soon, getting married next year, and want to be able to spend time with my wife. Not too mention, I don't want to spend my career waiting for the phone to ring. I still want to work for UP or BNSF as a Signalman or Freight Car Repairman (or maybe even a Track Laborer). I applied for a Freight Car Repairman job a few weeks ago only not to get it. I assume not having any professional welding or mechanical experience would really make it difficult getting into a RR trade position. Since I graduated high school I have worked in an office setting and am absolutely tired of sitting around staring at computer screens all day long. I am extremely active and would like a career that keeps my ass out of chair.

I don't have the means to go to some of the classes at Johnson County College in Kansas so I am curious if you guys think going to my local community college and obtaining certificates (of completion) in Electronics Technology and Basic Welding will help improve my chances any? I assume the Basic Welding certificate will help a lot in obtaining the Repairman job but I absolutely would prefer to be a Signalman as I always enjoyed working with my dad, an electrician, on his job sites. I have noticed there are not a lot of openings for Signalmen in this part of the country (TX) and worry I could be wasting my time pursuing it.

Anyone here who can shed some light on increasing my chances for either of these careers? Or is there anyone who was able to come from a "white collar" job into one of these field who can share some tips?

Thanks!
  by Freddy

RabidDog wrote:I originally was going to be hired as a Conductor but changed my mind as I did research into the position. I plan on having a family soon, getting married next year, and want to be able to spend time with my wife. Not too mention, I don't want to spend my career waiting for the phone to ring. I still want to work for UP or BNSF as a Signalman or Freight Car Repairman (or maybe even a Track Laborer). I applied for a Freight Car Repairman job a few weeks ago only not to get it. I assume not having any professional welding or mechanical experience would really make it difficult getting into a RR trade position. Since I graduated high school I have worked in an office setting and am absolutely tired of sitting around staring at computer screens all day long. I am extremely active and would like a career that keeps my ass out of chair.

I don't have the means to go to some of the classes at Johnson County College in Kansas so I am curious if you guys think going to my local community college and obtaining certificates (of completion) in Electronics Technology and Basic Welding will help improve my chances any? I assume the Basic Welding certificate will help a lot in obtaining the Repairman job but I absolutely would prefer to be a Signalman as I always enjoyed working with my dad, an electrician, on his job sites. I have noticed there are not a lot of openings for Signalmen in this part of the country (TX) and worry I could be wasting my time pursuing it.

Anyone here who can shed some light on increasing my chances for either of these careers? Or is there anyone who was able to come from a "white collar" job into one of these field who can share some tips?

Thanks!
Go with the Signalsman. Let BN know about working as an electrician, that will go a long way. I did 14 years in Track and after getting furloughed worked from 88 to 2008 in Signals
and finished as a Maintainer.