• PRR E-units on the Southern Tier main Fri & Sat Aug 5&6

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by marco

gravelyfan wrote:
marco wrote: I have a friend (who knows someone in dispatch) and he speaks of the challenge it is to move this SPECIAL through the system. I plan on snapping some pix @ the MOODNA VIADUCT in Cornwall. When I told my friend that my estimation was to be at the viaduct @ 8:00, (leaving 1 hour to move from HOBOKEN) she said, no, since the special has to cede the right of way to other traffic, and they plan on stopping along the way, however, the information is not made public.

NJT Train #0048 leaves Port Jervis @ 5:37, and arrives in Hoboken @ 7:45. It's single track in most places.

She did, however, put in a request to him to give an estimate for the arrival at the bridge, so I'm not out there waiting.... and waiting... and waiting...
I suggest you be in your "spot" at Moodna by 8:45 and the special will be there about 10 minutes later, plus or minus.
Thanks... Y'know, I read in another forum about a guy who will be chasing the train from bergen county up to lackawaxen... now, that is SOME DRIVE. Now that I have a better understanding of the time length from HOBOKEN to Moodna to Port Jervis, I can plan on a leisurely pace.
  by blabey

Suggest that you be at Port Jervis between 9:30 and 10:00. There will be a crew change and passengers will be boarding at the NJ Transit commuter platform.
  by waldwickrailfan

tolver wrote:I have planned a few photo ops in the Port Jervis area - anyone know of a planned schedule for Port Jervis on 8/5?
yes, it is scheduled to stop from 10-10:15.
  by GVrooman

Anyone know where the train will stop in Binghamton?
Perhaps by the DL&W station?
im wondering if there will be any photo opportunities while the train is there..

thanks,
Scot
The DL&W station is occupied by businesses. They used to have some kind of daycare center there. A more likely spot would be the station on the other side of the yard off of Eldridge St. that the NYS&W uses for excursions. I think it is the old D&H station. If it stops there you should be able to get a good view of it from the bridge over the yard on Chenango St., but they have a chain link fence up that makes it hard to take pictures.

IMHO the best place for a photo op would be on Court St./Rt. 11 down by Frito Lay. There are also some other places on Rt. 11 between Binghamton and Great Bend, PA where you can get a good view of the tracks. On the west side of Binghamton there are spots on Rt. 17C between Endicott and Owego that are close to the tracks.
  by K4Pacific

Thank You sooooo much SJ. Did it make PJ and is it westbound past Sparrow? I hope others post vids on here.
  by SecaucusJunction

I think it will work if you copy and paste the whole thing. For some reason, it keeps cutting the link short.
  by K4Pacific

Roger Waldwick, keep the OS coming. I gotta a guy at Oakland Bridges setting up.
  by waldwickrailfan

i also have a guy chasing it. i was way too tired to go with him. anyway, it should be a few minutes till it reaches Lackawaxen