• Equipment Assignment - Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ljeppson

My wife and I are scheduled to catch #5 tonight to Sacramento, get there on Friday, spend the day in Sacramento Saturday and return Sunday on #6. However, #5 is running nearly 12 hours late (has yet to make it to Fraser). So we will be hopping on # 5 tomorrow AM and about 9:30. This is a lark for us so we don't much care. However, we have roomette accomodations both ways. Could there be an equipment assignment problem on #6 Sunday? Can we be sure of our roomette Sunday? Any info would be appreciated.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Let's see Mr. Jeppson. your itinerary would appear to be SLC-5(13)-SAC-6(17)-SLC.

Presuming, as this is written, you are aboard the Zephyrette (connecting from The Prospector) - at least there are a few more comforts than the RDC would have provided.

Equipment for #6(17) turns from #5(14) at EMY, which, again, at this wirting is expected EMY 4'11' late. There should not be an issue - or at least much of one..
  by ljeppson

Well, Mr. Norman here's what happened, and quite a tale it is. I decided to have us return to SLC on Monday instead of Sunday to make sure equipment would be available. So my wife and I showed up at the SAC station. #6 showed up right on time, and we commenced our trip east in the last sleeper. Going through 3200 foot tunnel #28 (we were in the diner) it felt like we rolled over something in the tunnel, perhaps some fallen rock. Immediately we had a big hole break application (air hoses parted) and there was an awful sewage smell (tanks of the lead sleeper damaged?). We remained in the tunnel stopped for about 10 minutes while the crew check the consist. Then we limped out and stopped so they could take a better look. Below is a picture of tunnel 28 after we had left it a full 3 to 5 minutes. Diesel was still wafting from it. After we began again the trailing Amtrak unit had a lot of problems, which eventually were resolved. We made it make to SLC 1 1/2 hours late the following morning (19th).

http://www.utahtransit.us/aniv_trip.html