Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Ken V

For a very limited time VIA Rail is offering a 60% discount off Economy fares system wide and 60% off Business Class in the corridor. The catch is that tickets are non-refundable and must be purchased between now and Sunday (July 19) for travel up until October 31, 2010.

Details and conditions can be found on VIA's web site.
  by NeoArashi

If you're 100% sure that you WILL travel somewhere... THen there's no problem getting these discount tickets, even if they are not refundable. Beside, it's not onlt train ticket. Almost everything that's on sale is non-refundable anyways, so there's no catch at all.

As for myself. I had planned to go to Halifax (from Québec city) from october 10 (arriving at october 11th) to october 15 (getting back to QC at October 16th) with a bunch of friends. With the supersaver fare, we would have to pay 270$... but with this discount... we're probably all going to the QC Train station to get our ticket at a bit less than 200$. Very sweet indeed =D

And... is it me, or have they done this discount stuff quite often lately (not counting last year when they were on strike)? Not that I complain... but.
  by marquisofmississauga

Another condition (unlike one of the previous 60% sales) is that there must be a Supersaver fare available in order to get the 60% discount. There are some trips which, in Business Class, never offer Supersaver fares, such as Toronto-Belleville and Toronto-Kingston. But the long distance trips, such as Toronto to Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, Windsor, offer ample Supersaver Business Class fares especially if booked well in advance.
  by NeoArashi

I got my ticket for Quebec City to Halifax =D

With the supersaver fare, it would have costed me 270$ for round trip... now it only cost me 198$... This is worth getting =D
  by Montrealrail

With the last minute discount section,I did Montreal/Quebec for 20$and Montreal Ottawa for 28$
  by Ken V

Here we go again....
VIA Rail wrote:VIA Rail Canada will launch a sale tomorrow at 4:01 a.m. (EDT) featuring 60% off the adult regular fare in Economy and Business classes in the Ontario – Quebec corridor for trips taken from October 25 to December 14, 2010 (inclusive) and from January 6 to 31, 2011 (inclusive).

Booking for this can’t-be-beat offer will end on Wednesday, October 27 at 3:59 a.m. (EDT). A limited number of seats are available, so customers are invited to book early!
http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail ... c-corridor
  by Ken V

VIA is having another 50% sale on now until April 19 for travel up to September 5, 2011.
VIA wrote:Just in time for planning that spring or summer escape, VIA Rail Canada has launched a sale featuring 50% off the adult regular fare in Economy, Sleeper and Sleeper Touring classes valid for travel across Canada from April 18 to September 5, 2011 inclusive.

Booking for this can’t-be-beat offer will end on Tuesday, April 19. A limited number of spaces per train are available, so customers are invited to book early!
More information at http://www.viarail.ca/en/50-percent-sale/east-west
  by shonline

Great Deals. I booked a trip in June for our family of four from Edmonton to Toronto in a bedroom for four.

However, I was on hold for THREE HOURS before getting through. I realized why after I started the booking process, because sit took thirty minutes... Yikes!

No matter, this will be my third trip on this route this year and the second for my wife and kids. Always a great time.

Stu
  by Ken V

Starting July 14, for one week, VIA is offering a whopping 60% off travel anywhere in the Quebec City - Windsor Corridor. This sale is good for travel any time up until the end of August 2011.

Further details can be found at http://www.viarail.ca/en/60-percent-sal ... n=_q2cor60