• CSX derailment in Dewitt - 7/6

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by lvrr325

WSYR Radio is saying this happened behind Barnes & Cohen on Court St. Road, one train rearended another, conductor and engineer both injured ("scraped up"). Two engines off the track and upright, two frieght cars derailed but upright. A big fuel spill from the locomotives. Apparently some track is torn up as well. Per Don Lark's report.

Not the first time this has happened out here, IIRC Amtrak rearended a frieght train in the same area a number of years back.
  by JoshKarpoff

I'm currently sitting on Amtrak #48 in the Syracuse station. We were running about an hour late when we got into Syracuse, due to track work between Rochester and here. Overall, even that wasn't that bad for the LSL. If this had happened a few minutes later, we would have probably been one of the next trains through that spot.

Originally the crew reported that we were delayed because the engineer couldn't raise the dispatcher on the radio. Not sure if the radio difficulties happened before the accident or resulted from the accident.

This happened around 12:30pm and its now almost 4PM and Amtrak still hasn't come up with a plan. I've seen the photos on the news already, so I'm assuming that we'll be bussed to Albany and then make connecting trains from there.
Does anyone know what will happen with today's #49?
  by RailBus63

According to a poster on another board, Q36605 rear-ended L15605.
  by roadster

YNN is reporting now that a single track is open and Amtrak is able to continue service, albeit slowly and late. From the photo's I have seen. I believe they are refering to track 7 between CP 290 , Syracuse, and CP 286 in East Syracuse.
  by scharnhorst

East bound Trains have been running on top of each other sents Friday morning June 30th all on Track 2 I got out track side around 6:45a.m. and it was one after another nonstop for the good 4 hours that I was there I saw about 7 East bound trains and 3 West Bounds. Today 7/6 seemed to be the same thing East Bound after East Bound all on track 2 only saw 1 West Bound.
  by Railhead

I was able to get up to Syracuse
I believe train is on track 1
All of the lead train has been moved except for the last three cars
Locomotive 7617 is off the track on the north side of the rear cars
I have pictures
I will post shortly, once post processed and uploaded
  by lvrr325

The stories as reported have never been exactly the same twice, but apparently the crew's injuries are the result of them bailing off the locomotive when they realized they would hit. I'm still not sure if the stack train hit a mixed freight, or the other way around, but I would presume an L-symbol wouldn't have stacks in it.

Power was a standard older SD40 and a C40-8, the age of the leader and lack of safety cab may have had something to do with them bailing. Looks like the GE took the most damage and is the unit who's tank was compromised. WSYR-9 TV has plenty of photos and video up.

Going to be interesting to find out what they finally blame this on - at that time of day it's unlikely the sun could have been shining on a signal in a way that it would make it hard to read.
  by Railjunkie

Yes Q366 got into L156 rear end. Took AMT 64 out of SYR last night, EC-1 for movement against current of traffic east on track 7, with a rule 707a attached as per bulliten. Speed restricted to 20mph with a 10 between 289 and 288 around the wreck site. Corman was close to having the cars cleaned up but the power was still on the ground from what I could see. This was as of 2245 last night.
  by roadster

EC-1 against the current of traffic on Track 7, requires Restricted Speed, by definition is not to exceed 15 mph, being able to stop within 1/2 the range of vision. CSX Operating Rule 707a is track dept rules regarding the policy's and proceedures for operations within the work area. Transportation employees (train/engine crews) rules for these are covered under CSX Operating Rule 89. Basicly, the train can not pass the established limits without the Track Foremans permission and directions for transiting the Work area (rule 89).
The L symbol is a train operating outside the normal peramiters for the usual profile, IE: late, extra, 2nd section, and so forth. the 100 series number still designate intermodal/container/trailers.
  by twropr

Is the 5 pm departure shown in Arrow for #48 from Syracuse the actual train, or bus connection? If the train, this would be the first Amtrak move since the collision; if not, #64 at about 9:20 pm would be the first.

Andy
JoshKarpoff wrote:I'm currently sitting on Amtrak #48 in the Syracuse station. We were running about an hour late when we got into Syracuse, due to track work between Rochester and here. Overall, even that wasn't that bad for the LSL. If this had happened a few minutes later, we would have probably been one of the next trains through that spot.

Originally the crew reported that we were delayed because the engineer couldn't raise the dispatcher on the radio. Not sure if the radio difficulties happened before the accident or resulted from the accident.

This happened around 12:30pm and its now almost 4PM and Amtrak still hasn't come up with a plan. I've seen the photos on the news already, so I'm assuming that we'll be bussed to Albany and then make connecting trains from there.
Does anyone know what will happen with today's #49?
  by lvrr325

So the stack train was the one rearended? it looks like empty or single-stacks on the end were telescoped partly under the last unit of a loaded double stack. But it also appeared a gon on the other train was pretty well folded up or split apart.
  by O-6-O

Went by the wreck site after work tonight (about 4:15) and checked out the action. Most of the wrecked stuff was off the tracks and in the weeds between Barnes&Cone
and Wilcox Paper. The 7617 and the 8320 are rerailed and sitting on 8 Runner. The 3 well cars sitting in the yard(weeds) are bent, one real bad, and will likely be scraped on site. A crew from? was salvaging some of the stuff that was in the containers that got crunched. A CSX cop (kinda grumpy) was overseeing the action. He wasn't all
into chit chattin" with me about the goings on. The track gang was a little west (right behind B&C) working away on 1 and there was a lot of train movements going the 45 minutes I was there. Seemed to be eastbound on 2 and west on 7. I talked to a guy that works at Wilcox and he told me it sounded like a bomb going off when it happened. He was outside wheeling a handtruck of material into an overhead door, had noted the stack train standing there. When he turned on the sound the stack was moving but then stopped. To his surprise though the dust he could see the 7617 lurching left off the tracks and that site scared the **** out of him. 8 runner isn't more than 40 feet from the back of the building at Wilcox. FYI the distant signal at 287 is just about 100-120 yards east of the wreck site so Q366 passed only the CP 290 home lights. Be interesting to see what happened.