Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by R36 Combine Coach

The PA3s were (reportedly) suffering from corrosion the most, which is why they were taked out of service earlier.
  by Head-end View

Well, lucky day today! There were several sets of old trains running on the WTC-Newark route and I rode them in both directions! They were single-tracking in the Meadows while a test-train was running and I saw car 5787 on the test-train. Some days ya' win.......... Hope this wasn't the last time.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Another PA1/PA4 train on the Newark line this morning (6/13). No 600-series cabs, just two 100-series "B" cars.
  by HBLR

Some of those PA-1 will be in service a while longer. I've heard they are not in perfect shape but very good for their age from several PA buds of mine.
  by Terry Kennedy

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Another PA1/PA4 train on the Newark line this morning (6/13). No 600-series cabs, just two 100-series "B" cars.
Tuesday night, one of the 4 sets of cars used on the JSQ/HOB/33 overnight service consisted of 800-series and 100-series. The other 3 sets were PA-5 cars.
  by Head-end View

Today, while enjoying another ride on a PA-4 thru the Meadows, I saw car 5790 in the yard at Harrison Shops.
  by OportRailfan

I wanna say that the highest number A car(?) I saw the other day was 5208
  by Martin Baumann

How many PA-5 of each type are on firm order (A and B) ?

Martin Baumann
  by Fan Railer

Interesting twist... rode the system today to survey some things. They have cars 5813 and 5206 in service. In addition, it is possible to see the speedometer at your own risk through the cab door hinge. I clocked the PA-5 at 46 mph in the lower hudson tube and at 57 mph descending the lift bridge towards newark right out of jsq. Balancing speed is 55 mph.
  by Fan Railer

Fan Railer wrote:Interesting twist... rode the system today to survey some things. They have cars 5813 and 5206 in service. In addition, it is possible to see the speedometer at your own risk through the cab door hinge. I clocked the PA-5 at 46 mph in the lower hudson tube and at 57 mph descending the lift bridge towards newark right out of jsq. Balancing speed is 55 mph.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7-D9ooMfSg - Video from that day... more of a sound recording than not, with all those damn security cameras and PATH's anti cam laws.....
  by R36 Combine Coach

PANYNJ press release: final PA5 cars will enter service Monday 10/31 at 11 AM in Hoboken with press conference.
  by Head-end View

Sort of like giving PATH its last rites as a railfan-friendly railroad. Never again will we see out the front of a PATH train..............

Kind of ironic; I'm leaving the same day for a few days in the Phildelphia area to try to catch a good ride on a new Silverliner V train. They have windows in front similar to the old PATH cars. Gotta go where the viewing action is!
  by R36 Combine Coach

So it's official: the PA5 order is now complete and all 340 cars are in service.