• Ticket policy and station configuration.

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by frostyorange

I am going to begin exploring SEPTA a bit. Before i begin my adventure i have some questions. I need to know what the policy is for boarding at stations which have no ticket office or other way to procure a ticket the day of travel. Also, is it easy to change lines at say jenkintown or wayne junction? I would prefer to stay in the outer areas for time constraint reasons so going to CCP is not an option.
  by tgolanos

frostyorange wrote:I am going to begin exploring SEPTA a bit. Before i begin my adventure i have some questions. I need to know what the policy is for boarding at stations which have no ticket office or other way to procure a ticket the day of travel. Also, is it easy to change lines at say jenkintown or wayne junction? I would prefer to stay in the outer areas for time constraint reasons so going to CCP is not an option.
Not really too much to boarding and buying on-board. You'll still have to pay the on-board fare, though. Changing at Jenkintown is pretty easy. Just make sure you check the train schedules and time it well (like anywhere, really).
  by Matthew Mitchell

Note you can buy tickets in advance from the store section of the SEPTA web site.
Also, when you present your receipt for the inbound fare at the Center City ticket office, you can get a reduced price for your return ticket.
  by frostyorange

Ok. Thanks. I don't have time to go to CCP, would take ~2 hours since my start would be in zone 5 or 6. We'll see how it goes, going to try it today.
  by frostyorange

It's working out so far. I think I'm going to do this again with a camera. Thanks for all the information.
  by CNJGeep

frostyorange wrote:I am going to begin exploring SEPTA a bit. Before i begin my adventure i have some questions. I need to know what the policy is for boarding at stations which have no ticket office or other way to procure a ticket the day of travel. Also, is it easy to change lines at say jenkintown or wayne junction? I would prefer to stay in the outer areas for time constraint reasons so going to CCP is not an option.
Buy an Independence Pass. For $11, you can ride all day and all night for essentially free (except Trenton) buy it on your train in and simply give the conductor the receipt each time you're on.
  by frostyorange

I actually heard the conductor talk to other passengers about that. I ended up meeting a friend so my trip was one way. Next time I'll probably do that though. Thanks!