Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by TrainManUPRR

The doubleheaders all usually fly, I'm glad the rebuilds are running well now though. From what I heard they were having some teething problems early on, but that's normal for any brand new machine.
  by metraRI

184 has now popped up on RI, essentially swopping with 401. 181, which was out of service, has returned... allowing 413 to return to MD.
  by MetraBNSF

209 has now surfaced on BNSF. Unsure of when it came over but was it previously on RI or MILW?
  by metra104

MetraBNSF wrote:209 has now surfaced on BNSF. Unsure of when it came over but was it previously on RI or MILW?
#209 was on the MILW
  by AMTK84

I am excited to report that the horn on F40PH-3 #146 has been fixed...and is sounding great now! This horn had only two notes working consistently when I saw it about a month ago, but all is well now. It is the same horn that I heard in April, so whatever the problem was, it must have been relatively easy to fix...otherwise they would have just taken the horn off and put on a new one. In any event...it sounds truely gorgious now, and it is definitely a highlight of the Union Pacific Metra fleet.
  by MetraMDW211

Metra 211 is back in service on the milwaukee lines and NCS! It just came back from kentucky this week and 207 and 209 are going to be back soon!
  by metra104

MetraMDW211 wrote:Metra 211 is back in service on the milwaukee lines and NCS! It just came back from kentucky this week and 207 and 209 are going to be back soon!
I Saw #207 on The RI Leading Train #417 (aka Midlothian Express #2) past vermont street which usually flies by at 5:43 PM, but was late due to train #613 having mechanical problems
  by MetraMDW211

Really? I heard they were still in kentucky. There suppose to be back in the Milwaukee pool soon though
  by MetraMDW211

Rumor is that Metra is getting two new locomotives with desk top controls from progressive rail! They are saying that they might have numbers in the 500's!
  by metraRI

MetraMDW211 wrote:Really? I heard they were still in kentucky. There suppose to be back in the Milwaukee pool soon though
Neither 211, 207, or 209 have been to Kentucky... nor are they being rebuilt. The only units out for rebuild are the F40PH-2's. You can see what units have been rebuilt in the "Metra Locomotive Rebuild Status" thread.
211 has been on and off MD/HC, 207 is assigned to RI, and 209 was in the BNSF pool.. but could be back on MD.
MetraMDW211 wrote:Rumor is that Metra is getting two new locomotives with desk top controls from progressive rail! They are saying that they might have numbers in the 500's!
Haven't heard anything about this, although Metra has recieved two 'new' F40's from Progress Rail... 215/216.
  by MetraMDW211

With in the next few months there will be to new locomotives rumored to be numbered in the 500's. And are you sure that 211 207 and 209 wernt in Kentucky? Because I got that information from a 110% reliable source