• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by spanner012

Kazecap0ne wrote:Its been a little over 3 weeks since I completed the drug screen,phsycal and strength test. My Submission Status has been "Ready to Hire" since 4/18/11 Would it be ok to e-mail and ask if there is any news or should i just shut up and wait?

You could certainly email but, to be honest, you wont get a response, you could even call but, I will save you the time and say that if conductor is your craft, you will be told, "I will call you two weeks before your scheduled startdate" I know what you are going through, we all went through it. It is just part of the process It was over two months from the time I was offered the job until I started at REDI. I will tell you that Conductor classes start every two weeks like clockwork.Anyway, I hope that helps.. Good luck!
  by derek2505

Leaving in 9 days for REDI. I am trying to make sure I am good to go as far as footwear is concerned. Any recommendations for a conductor position on authorized/preferred footwear?
  by jdb35

I had my strength test today and feel like I did really good on it. This is just a piece of advice for some of you older guys that have to take the strength test, I am 48 years old and in fairly good shape. This test was intense and really makes you have to dig hard to get through it. I was already getting sore on the drive home. It was given to me by a physical therapist so I know it was conducted the right way. If you are placed in a pool, you have time to start preparing yourself, take my advice and start exercising.
  by B5C

derek2505 I believe that somewhere on here I read that Redwing Model # 2408 is an excellent brand to buy. They mentioned something about a 1" defined heel as well. I am not quite for certain what that means though. Also, I read that it is also important to get EXCELLENT rain gear/thermal clothing in addition to the appropriate footwear. I hope you ace everything at the school and wish you the best of luck too!

COEN77 Is there a formal documented attendence CSX policy? My current job has a point system that they use to get rid of all the people who miss a lot of time from work. I know you worked in Richmond VA. at a big yard, but did it take you a long time to get day work? I don't mind paying my dues and am I willing to work nights or whatever it takes to get on day work. I am just curious on a basic "time frame" it basically took you to see daylight? I don't want to work a lot of years there and still not see some daylight in the distant future. I don't even mind working seven days a week at 12 hours a day or being on the road/outdoors, but I think the ONLY ONE THING that might cut me off at the knees, and make me one of the dropout statistics, if hired on, is having a messed up unorginized sleep schedule. It is truly mind blowing to me that 8 out of 10 people will quit and dropout during training from one of your posts I read.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

"unorganized sleep schedule" ?......... try unorganized life/work hours in general. you must be ready for all of it or you aint gonna make it.
  by B5C

RDGTRANSMUSEUM wrote:"unorganized sleep schedule" ?......... try unorganized life/work hours in general. you must be ready for all of it or you aint gonna make it.
If other job potential job prospects do not fall through for me before I get the official boot in August from my other job, then I must be forced to go to work for the RR, if by chance I am hired on in the future. I know what my major weakness is and it would take me some time to adapt that is for sure! Thanks!
  by cdabbs21

people only drop out becasue the stuff they were told that they were lied about. The school is easy. Nothing to it. But if you think your going to be rich starting out you are mistaken. I just finshed school and let me tell you. You only make 100 dollars a day. After taxes and insurance I only brought home 700 every 2 weeks. Waste of time. Who cares what I make in 5 years. I need the money now.
  by COEN77

B5C wrote:
COEN77 Is there a formal documented attendence CSX policy? My current job has a point system that they use to get rid of all the people who miss a lot of time from work. I know you worked in Richmond VA. at a big yard, but did it take you a long time to get day work? I don't mind paying my dues and am I willing to work nights or whatever it takes to get on day work. I am just curious on a basic "time frame" it basically took you to see daylight? I don't want to work a lot of years there and still not see some daylight in the distant future. I don't even mind working seven days a week at 12 hours a day or being on the road/outdoors, but I think the ONLY ONE THING that might cut me off at the knees, and make me one of the dropout statistics, if hired on, is having a messed up unorginized sleep schedule. It is truly mind blowing to me that 8 out of 10 people will quit and dropout during training from one of your posts I read.
Yes, there is a formal attendance policy which was put in effect last year and it's harsh. It only allows one personal day off every 4 weeks. It's a 3 strike policy which includes all infractions not just attendance. Road jobs and the extra boards (road or yard) have assigned rest days which depending on terminals might be one day off a week or two days off bi-weekly. Yard jobs can be 5 or 6 day assignments. As for seeing the light of day no one can answer that daylight yard jobs in Richmond as an engineer took 30+ years to hold. "Messed up unorganized sleep schedule"? Even though I'm retired I still suffer from sleep deprevation I'll wake up 4-5 times during the night. As a railroader we've seen a lot of sunsets & sunrises. Ones body clock definitely gets out of whack. To be honest I wouldn't had it any other way. The figures I used for those who dropped out is not just for those in training it's within the first year. I won't lie it's a difficlut occupation not necessarily in the physical sense but in a mental time consuming way. It's takes a lot of patience. They'll call you out at 2am when it felt you just got home which most likely you did 8 hours earlier. Get to work it might take 1 1/2 hours to get paperwork then they'll get you to the train where you might sit for 4 hours before leaving all the time one is asking themselves as the sun rises "I just got robbed of 5 1/2 hours sleep at home in my own bed". This cycle keeps repeats itself. Some can handle it some can't.
  by Kazecap0ne

cdabbs21 wrote:people only drop out becasue the stuff they were told that they were lied about. The school is easy. Nothing to it. But if you think your going to be rich starting out you are mistaken. I just finshed school and let me tell you. You only make 100 dollars a day. After taxes and insurance I only brought home 700 every 2 weeks. Waste of time. Who cares what I make in 5 years. I need the money now.

they tell you exactly what you will make while in training....so how is that a lie?
  by COEN77

cdabbs21 wrote:people only drop out becasue the stuff they were told that they were lied about. The school is easy. Nothing to it. But if you think your going to be rich starting out you are mistaken. I just finshed school and let me tell you. You only make 100 dollars a day. After taxes and insurance I only brought home 700 every 2 weeks. Waste of time. Who cares what I make in 5 years. I need the money now.
Huh! You're starting out in training. Whoever stated you'll be rich? Railroad will never make you rich one can make a good living. Who cares what you want? Sorry to say you're definitely living an unrealistic life with overblown expectations. If the railroad stated a person can make $45,000-$60,000 starting out that is realistic once they're marked up out of training. Waste of time? One always has the option to quit.
  by gp80mac

COEN77 wrote: Huh! You're starting out in training. Whoever stated you'll be rich? Railroad will never make you rich one can make a good living. Who cares what you want? Sorry to say you're definitely living an unrealistic life with overblown expectations. If the railroad stated a person can make $45,000-$60,000 starting out that is realistic once they're marked up out of training. Waste of time? One always has the option to quit.
Let's see: the RR's hire people for T&E with a high school education and no real skills. How dare they not pay them $250K+ right out of the gate!

Better hold off on ordering the Audi A8 for a few years...
  by spanner012

Ok I have to comment on all the stuff on here about the payscale and the Lies that were suposedly told to get people into the training program. fIRST OFF, I was never told anything about csx making you ritch and from what I can gather, Noone else that I was trained with were told that either..they tell you to expect 43,000 the first year.

Secondly, I can definately say that noone lied to get me into the program, they told me that I could expect to be working weekends nights and holidays. during rain wind and snow.. Not only were we told that by the person that conducted the interview but, I was told several times in training to be prepaired for it.

Im not calling anyone a liar, all I know is my own experience
  by frank68

I agree with Spanner and Coen77. All of the sudden there are a few negative people in here!Why?? At my hiring session I too was told the truth! Yes the training pay is not that much but I prepared myself and my family . Where else can you get a great retirement that will still be around years to come? Cannot say so much for social security can we. I also know for a fact that the US government borrows money from the RR retirement so they have it for social security! RR benefits are superior too!! I have been at my current job for 18 years and can't even get close to the same benefits! Think about that pay one more time. Add in the complete package including the training which in average when all said and done they invest 50,000 per person to train including OJT . Don't forget , there was a time when you had to pay your own way for school and now they pay and even pay you while you are there !! Hey, all I know is that I am ready to do this and I am gonna be at CSX until I retire. I know what it takes, was told the truth about it all and I am gonna do very well . I am dedicated, focused and will do it and do it well! It is not a very hard physical job! Good luck to all of those heading to or at REDI now and or still OJT. I cannot wait to get there! Do it right and you can make a great living at it.
  by B5C

Hi frank68 I think one of your historical posts stated that after taxes, a graduated conductor would make $1050 after taxes (pg 79)
as well as $20 dollars for food while in School in Atlanta. I have read so many conflicting stories about pay while at REDI, but if someone wants a job (much like myself) I would hop on it in a minutes notice time no matter what the training pay could possibly be. Still, no word as of late about Jessup MD, but I am still optimistic about a CSX future in the making though.

COEN77 Not to sound disrespectfull towards you, but you must have THE SIZE OF AN ELEPHANTS BALLS to have endured that kind of mental abuse or whatever you might have endured during your 30+ long railroad career. My hat is off to you because the more I study, the more I realize what it takes for someone to endure this type of career. I must confess that the RR life will be my last resort for a job, but I know what I am in for and what to expect thanks to your honesty. I am 42 yo and remember someone saying that they would NOT suggest this job to someone over 30 yo. Thanks for your input again!
  by frank68

Hi B5C. Well back then I had heard that from another person in here at the time and was $ 1050 every 2 weeks if you remember while at school and the 20$ a day for food. Now that being said and having been to a hiring session now I can say for sure that it is $576.50 per week and $20.00 a day for food allowance while at school. After you get through that, your OJT is $691.79 salary with a six day work week. OJT can last 16 weeks or more. Now those are gross figures for school and OJT for Albany division in N. Y. . When you become certified you get paid by the run and each run has a different pay and first year you get 80% pay for each run and 5% increase every year until 100% of course. Depending on where you are on board you can get some good paying runs and some not so great paying runs. Oh, and right out of training you get 3 personal days( 1 week vacation after first 220 start days.)After you get in school your benefits kick in on the first of the month following your start date. Example: if you start school on let's say May 23rd, then your benefits kick in on June 1st. Now that is $203 per month and no matter what size family you have. The dental and eyeglass will kick in after your first year anniversary and it is at no extra cost per month. The dues for Freight Conductor is $90 per month as well. You become eligible for RR retirement after first 5 years. For Freight Conductor, you can qualify for $3000.00 bonus at end of first year as well for safety, attendance and workmanship.(better than any Christmas bonus I ever got) When you retire, for example if you get $3000.00 per month and you are married. Your spouse will receive $1500.00 a month on top of that. (50%)That is as long as they do not collect social security and they have to be at least 60 years old to collect
with you. That is $4500.00 per month between the two of you and your spouse never set foot on the RR! Now add in a 401
k or two and you are doing pretty well per month I must say. Now also at the Albany division in N.Y. I will get paid on a
weekly basis. Things may differ from state to state,area etc... What I just stated is right from my notes I took and also
asked questions about at hiring session. Now I was at Assistant signal worker session the day before that and can give the
training pay rate and responsibilities for that if anyone needs it. Hope this helped. I just want to get my call and get
down to Atlanta and start training. Now I am not calling anyone out either here and I am going to be a new hire myself but like I said, I have prepared for this all and need a solid career and retirement. I and most all of us in here can agree that the RR and CSX will be around for many years to come! Yes the hours are weird and you have to work holidays but oh well you sure aren't breaking your back and don't have a supervisor looking over your shoulder all the time. You are trained and trusted to do your job right and do what is required at all times. Hope everyone is doing well!