• DL&W line that paralleled LNE cement line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by carajul

Does anyone know the exact route the DLW line took that paralleled the LNE cement line thru Nazareth? I know the two crossed at Dexter Hill tower and the DLW stub ended at bath yard. Where did this line start? I think portions of it still exist and are used by NS for storage. Also when was the line abandoned? Did CR ever use it?

Looking at the current live maps it appears as though the DLW row is now used for some type of covered conveyor belt of sorts. The row is barely decernable. It looks as though the DLW row swung northward away from the LNE just a smidge north of the Rt 248 & Randy Blvd intersection. It went north to a place called Bellfast Jct underneigh Rt 33. It appears as though there are some landlocked tracks into an industrial and lumber park still there!
  by mrobinson

At the west end, the DL&W started at Bath Junction where it interchanged with the N&B. This would be east of Rt. 512, where Newburg Road crossed the tracks. Line ran south of and parallel to the L&NE until Dexter where it crossed over to the north side. There were several places where the DL&W had spurs that crossed the L&NE on diamonds and the spurs serviced cement mills north of the LNE. Thru Nazareth, the DL&W was north by about a half-block from the LNE until the LNE swung south at Nazareth Cement (both RR's served that plant). The DL&W pretty much headed due northeast to where it is still in place west of Stockertown at the plastics company. North of Stockertown, well that's another story.

IIRC The line was intact and used up until 4/1/1976 and then sections were pulled out as needed.

The line is still used to service the lumber company and was used to the plastics company last I knew. Belfast Junction was where the DL&W interchanged with the LVRR E&N branch. The section still used is access thru a connecting track that was built when Rt 33 was constructed to allow the LNE access to that lumber company.
  by carajul

I was able to follow the line all the way north to Penn Argle. The row is intact and is a dirt trail or sorts. Doing some research this line was the "Bangor and Portlant" branch of the DLW. After getting to Penn Argle I lost the row.

The area around Rt 33 where the E&N and DLW connected has been rather manipulated by CR to serve local industry. Track layout has changed quite a bit.
  by ssw9662

Most of the B&P was abandoned around 1981-82, although I wouldn't be surprised if it were out of service long before then. I doubt the Bath-Nazareth portion survived after 1976, considering the LNE tracks were just a couple hundred feet away and served the same industries. The line between Nazareth and Eastlawn (where the present-day end of track is) has been extensively redeveloped, in fact northeast of Nazareth a large quarry pit now exists where the ROW once was. The one-mile portion around Stockertown is still active today (NS calls it the Nazareth Industrial Track). This is used to serve two industries, Prime Conduit (the plastics customer by the Route 191 grade crossing) and Universal Forest Products in Stockertown. The former B&P through Plainfield Township (between Belfast Junction and Pen Argyl) is now a rail-trail. Just outside Pen Argyl the line took a sharp turn and connected with what is now the NS Portland Secondary between Bangor and Martins Creek, at a location known as Martins Creek Junction. North of Martins Creek Junction the line is still in use as the Portland Secondary (in DL&W days, the B&P extended all the way from Portland to Bath).