• B&M F7A and F7B

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by drvmusic

Hi Everyone,

I've been viewing these forums for a while now. Lots of great info!

I have a fascination with EMD F7A's and B's and especially the B&M ones. I've found a few pics thanks to this site but still haven't seen the following:

4265B
4266B
4267A (there was one thread about the derailment, but the pics are gone)

Any help locating pics of these wonderful engines would be appreciated! I'd also like to see any pics of the others that I already have pics of.

Also, anyone have details of the Minuteman Express? My friend has an HO model of this loco and I'm pretty sure it's an F7A. Any details? I can't find any online.

Thanks!
-DRV
  by drvmusic

I actually located 4265B and 4266B

The only one I can't find any pics of is 4267A! Anyone?
  by Eliphaz

4267A was lost in a wreck near Mascoma Lake in NH in 1960, so pics of it are rarer than the others.
ref: this thread: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=72875
Maybe David Hutchinson can replace the missing attachments in that thread...?
  by drvmusic

Thanks everyone. I had seen that thread and was hoping there was some way to get the links that those pics originally pointed to. Those B&M F7's are by far my favorite locos and I love seeing 4266 running in N. Conway (wish they'd let it pull 4268 even though it's not running).

Anyone know if any of the F7B's still exist? I know they were stored in North Billerica at one point but I hear they are no longer there.
  by Eliphaz

the missing images were attached directly to the post. all post attachments in this forum were lost about 6 months ago when the forum software was updated. It's a tragic loss, there were thousands of post attachments going back years.

David Hutchinson is the person who could answer your question about the fate of the B units. I would have expected him to weigh in by now.
  by bmcdr

All of B&M's F-7B's were retired by the mid 1980's and scrapped by Guilford at Billerica Shops in 1988 with the exception of 4268B. The 4268B was sold by Guilford in 1988 to some railfan group down in New Jersey, I believe, and I think they painted it up Central New Jersey to match an "A" unit they already had. Can anyone out there concur with this? I think the "A" unit they had was ex Bangor & Aroostook.
  by bmcdr

Eliphaz wrote:4267A was lost in a wreck near Mascoma Lake in NH in 1960, so pics of it are rarer than the others.
ref: this thread: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=72875
Maybe David Hutchinson can replace the missing attachments in that thread...?
Here they are: 1) Berlin,N.H. May 25,1949
2) East Fitchburg,Mass. June 24,1951
3) Mascoma,N.H. November 1960
  by bmcdr

For some reason, I was only able to upload 3 photos in my last reply, so here is the last shot I have of 4267A, taken at EMD LaGrange,Ill in 1961 after the B&M had traded it in along with the BL-2's for GP-18's.
  by Eliphaz

Excellent, Mr. H.
That one pose with the two matching B units is a beautiful railroading classic
  by drvmusic

bmcdr wrote:For some reason, I was only able to upload 3 photos in my last reply, so here is the last shot I have of 4267A, taken at EMD LaGrange,Ill in 1961 after the B&M had traded it in along with the BL-2's for GP-18's.
Thank you SO much! WOW! Fantastic pictures. So sad knowing her 3 sister A engines still survive but will never again be a complete set.
  by bumthum

bmcdr wrote:All of B&M's F-7B's were retired by the mid 1980's and scrapped by Guilford at Billerica Shops in 1988 with the exception of 4268B. The 4268B was sold by Guilford in 1988 to some railfan group down in New Jersey, I believe, and I think they painted it up Central New Jersey to match an "A" unit they already had. Can anyone out there concur with this? I think the "A" unit they had was ex Bangor & Aroostook.
Hmmmm... for some reason I cant get the quote feature to work. These units are owned by the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society, they moved them to Steamtown in Scranton PA (in January I believe). There were photos in the last two Railpace Magazines of the move. The B is fmr. B&M 4268 and the A is an ex BAR F3, although I would have to dig out the magazines to find out the road number. The plan is to cosmeticaly restore the B to look like an F-3B to match the A unit.

***EDIT: Thank you for correcting my quotation issue. Here is a link to what 4268B presently looks like, seems it was converted over to F3B already http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopi ... ?id=135042***

* edited by the moderator to fix the quote issue
Last edited by bumthum on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by MEC407

Sorry about the quote button not working. The quote function still works, you just have to do it manually with BBcode, unfortunately. More info at: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 17&t=77064
  by b&m 1566

Just a side note, for those that don't already know - 4268 was originally an EMD demonstrator and was numbered 930.