• Testing and informing?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by matawanaberdeen

I took tests for Trackman for Conrail February 9th and its now almost 2 months later and not even a letter telling me I passed which I know 100% I did. Now i went through this with taking Conductor tests last year. Last April I took Conductor tests and passed but did not receive the letter i passed till June. In the letter it stated "I would be scheduled for an interview in the nest few weeks". Well first interview wasn't till September after i called several times. 2nd interview wasn't till mid January. I mean is that not ridiculous? After not be selected for even more ridiculous reasons I was asked to come in for Trackman tests Feb. 9th and again its now 2 months later with no letter on if I passed or not. Is this not extremely unprofessional? Is this not ridiculous?
  by jz441

matawanaberdeen wrote: Is this not extremely unprofessional? Is this not ridiculous?
Not really, it's just railroading!
  by gp80mac

Hurry up and wait, bud.

Someone once told me that railroaders would make good restaurant workers since we are such good waiters.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

when i hired on, i was tested 12-89 at phila passed,then had my physical in allentown. i did not get called to classes till may 1990! the kicker was i had to retake my pysical AGAIN right before classes started! if you want a RR job,you put up with this crap.
  by COEN77

Nothings changed. When I hired out my application, testing, interview, and physical were completed in march 1977. I wasn't called to start working until July 6th, 1977.
  by dbask27

Do anyone on here actually work for amtrak or csx
  by matawanaberdeen

dbask27 wrote:Do anyone on here actually work for amtrak or csx
Lots of people work for both on here but I'd say you'll run into more guys that work for CSX.
  by matawanaberdeen

So guys what do you think of this. I was told that "they have no idea what I didn't get a letter with my test results" but "all jobs have been filled". So they sent out letter and had interviews and hired guys but I magically did not receive a letter with my test results. Sound fair? Did I pass because I know with 100% certainty that I passed and if I passed I should have been given an interview. Does this not sound ridiculous? I mean the least you should be assured is your test results from a hiring session.
  by jz441

I work with the guy from Virginia who for many years tried to get on with NS or CSX with no success... One day he decided to apply with BNSF on the west coast (out of curiosity) and got hired right right away.
  by matawanaberdeen

jz441 wrote:I work with the guy from Virginia who for many years tried to get on with NS or CSX with no success... One day he decided to apply with BNSF on the west coast (out of curiosity) and got hired right right away.
Thanks I live in NJ though. Am I the only one that thing what they did in BS? I must be wrong then. I guess taking tests and no being informed if you passed is ok in the RR world.
  by jz441

matawanaberdeen wrote:Am I the only one that thing what they did in BS? I must be wrong then. I guess taking tests and no being informed if you passed is ok in the RR world.
You have to think like they do... Railroads are cocky and do only things that are in their best interest! There are 2000-3000 applicants per class of 12 conductors... in other words, there is no shortage of applicants when railroads need the bodies. In their book, you are just a fish that nibbled the bait and nothing more. So why would they waist time contacting people who didn't get selected, when in fact they know that you will re-apply next time if you want the job so bad. But if you don't re-apply, the other 3000 will!
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

Oh yeah,and I would add that the "squeeky wheel gets the oil" works here. I called every two weeks until i went to classes. I knew everybody at Conrail manpower in Phila. on a first name basis by the time I went railroading!
  by matawanaberdeen

I have no problem with not selecting me but not letting me know if I passed the tests is wrong. Also i emailed and called every 2 weeks.
  by COEN77

matawanaberdeen wrote:I have no problem with not selecting me but not letting me know if I passed the tests is wrong. Also i emailed and called every 2 weeks.
I do have to say you've definitely been persistent in trying to get a rail job the past couple of years. But apparently you're only interested in one region. Quite a few people went outside the box having expanded their search. jz441 wrote about other railroads like BNSF your comment "I live in NJ". Greater the population harder the competition with hundreds or thousands applying. I would think someone from Etowah, TN would have a greater chance to get hired than a person in New Jersey. Does it really matter if test results are known? If the outcome doesn't achieve the desired results in this case an interview. Apparently each application means another round of tests instead of past results on file being used to exclude it's need.