• Family Medical Leave while in training

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jeffd

Without naming a specific company, I have a question regarding getting time off while a new "Train Servce" employee is in training. The trainee has be given a Realse to Start with class begining the later part of May 2011. According to all info the training is approximately 14 weeks which includes class room and OJT. Approx 9 weeks into training he and his wife are supposed to have a baby and he would like to get 3 days off to be there. What will the concequences be if he asks for the time off and if he does will he be penalized, or kicked out of the program? They plan to relocate after the birth, but it dosent make sense to do so prior to passing all the training etc.
  by matawanaberdeen

No offense at all but i wouldn't even try for time off so quickly. I know having a baby is a big deal but the job that pays the bills for the baby is as big a deal. I would work through it.
  by AEM7AC920

I would inquire about that with the railroad and get a straight foward answer rather then asking here because everyones answer here is just a guess. Depends on the railroad and supervisors for the most part 3 days isn't bad but if its during training or class time when you will be missing out I am going to say talk to hr and training department if possible.
  by Chicagorail1

You have to have 12 months in with a company to get FMLA for any reason.
  by EricL

I have been in training with guys whose wives were having the baby while they were gone. They might take the opportunity of a weekend to book a flight ticket back home to see her... but other than that, oh well! And you can bet that they were back in town by Monday morning!
  by Chicagorail1

When times where good, and jobs where a dime a dozen, there where a 100 guys that whould sell there wives and mothers just for a shot at a conductors job! Dont screw it up! The railroad is heartless. They dont care about your baby. Just report for work like you said you would at your interview, that put 50 other guys with out a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  by COEN77

gp80mac stated it right go to whoever is in charge of the training at that time only when the time comes around. If it's during classroom training that might be a problem once in OJT there is room to be more flexable. You can't predict a birth it could be two weeks before or after the due date. I wouldn't be bringing it up unless it was necessary meaning the wife is in labor. Asking in advance might not sit well. Unfortunately some railroads (CSX) might take that as a bad sign. If a person is enroute on a train they won't stop it to take a person off it. They might deadhead a person back once at the terminal. It boils down to the job and caring for the family. The money earned the health insurance is more important in the long run. No easy answers.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

I would let things progress up to the point of having a call made to you while in class informing your that the wife is in labor. the RR can decide what to do at that point. when my youngest was born i was marked up about 5-6 times out. you know what happened next,they paged me at the hospital and wanted me to work. lucky for me the crew caller was one of the nice ones and passed over me,calling the nex person on the list. get ready for a lifetime of missing things with the family if you want the railroad job.
  by jz441

I don't know what railroad is in question, but BNSF will be more flexible compared some others. Just talk to your trainers and explain the situation. We just had a guy miss the entire week of OJT do to illness and he is still with us. Classroom will be much harder to skip...