• Washouts for CSX/NS at Silver Creek, NY?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SST

I'm just curious if there has been any problems for CSX or NS at Silver Creek, NY. Due to intense thunderstorms yesterday the creek rose significantly and took the docks and the boats out into Lake Erie. Many boats are still attached to the docks. I haven't looked at the news and I don't see anything posted here so I assume everything is running. The water level is/was just underneath the I-90. More storms are currently passing through the area as I type this.
  by SimTrains

2 NS trains were held in Buffalo last night while track department personal were looking over track conditions. They were gone by sun up, so there must not have been any issues with flooding.
  by roadster

Had some signal issues between Rochester and Syracuse. No apparent flooding issues on CSX property out here, but no apparent damage. A Flood warning was in effect for a few hours during the evening.
  by MarkT

Otto Vondrak wrote:Anything special about Silver Creek? Figure the whole region is prone to flood?
Silver Creek is where Cattaraugus Creek empties into Lake Erie. CC is really more like a river at that point, pretty wide, and basically a lot of WNY is in the river shed of CC. The 2 bridges are less than one mile up from Lake Erie
  by med-train

There was also some severe damage in Gowanda. NY&LE may have suffered some damage.
I have heard that some rail is suspended in mid-air.
  by Otto Vondrak

MarkT wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:Anything special about Silver Creek? Figure the whole region is prone to flood?
Silver Creek is where Cattaraugus Creek empties into Lake Erie.
Thanks- wasn't familiar with the area in question.
  by sd80mac

Otto Vondrak wrote:
MarkT wrote:
Silver Creek is where Cattaraugus Creek empties into Lake Erie.
Thanks- wasn't familiar with the area in question.
Silver Creek was popular railfan camping in 90's and probably before. Right now everything is overgrown veg making the view more difficult and RR cops had been there to shoo railfans away after a bunch of HS kids started a fire on a tie on CR track in late 95's (I think it was 97 or 98). It used to be a nice place to go...

Even a railfan mowed the area there...
  by MarkT

sd80mac wrote:Silver Creek was popular railfan camping in 90's and probably before. Right now everything is overgrown veg making the view more difficult and RR cops had been there to shoo railfans away after a bunch of HS kids started a fire on a tie on CR track in late 95's (I think it was 97 or 98). It used to be a nice place to go...

Even a railfan mowed the area there...
Not sure how easy it is to get to the CSX bridge, but the NS bridge area is a hugely popular fishing area, especially in the fall for steelhead
  by sd80mac

MarkT wrote:Not sure how easy it is to get to the CSX bridge, but the NS bridge area is a hugely popular fishing area, especially in the fall for steelhead

I think that you are speaking of Irving a bit further NE from Silver Creek. These 2 bridges in Silver Creek are way too high to fish I believe
  by jones3621

as a local they are speaking of Irving. CSX usually doesn't have issues with their bridges, except for i guess the floods of '09 they had 'em shut down for the weather. NS however has a few more problems with theirs, especially when the ice comes down the Cattargus every year, it tends to jam against the bridge, along with all the logs and other crap the creek picks up along the way, also yea the NYLE took a major washout in the floods.