• Walthers Amtrak Amfleet Is "Retired"

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Amtrak207

Great picture!

Once again, please continue to leave Walthers Facebook comments regarding re-tooled Amfleet I and II models, or e-mail them. As I have stated, even if this is a project in the works, your responses and inquiries will only add fuel to the fire. Some comments to point out are:

*Accurate carbody this time.
* Better operating diaphrams
* New inside roller-bearing trucks
* Interiors
*Plated finish (well to each his own)

This is a VERY good topic that is constantly surfacing over and over again on the AtlasRR, MRR, ModelRailroading Forums, Trainorders, and this forum.

Waiting for the day I see the following on their website:

932-16263 Revised Streamlined Amfleet(R) I w/Plated Finish Assembled -- Coach Amtrak(R) Phase IVb HO 59.98
932-16264 Revised Streamlined Amfleet(R) I w/Plated Finish Assembled -- Cafe Amtrak(R) Phase IVb HO 59.98
932-16265 Revised Streamlined Amfleet(R) II w/Plated Finish Assembled -- Coach Amtrak(R) Phase IVb HO 59.98
932-16266 Revised Streamlined Amfleet(R) II w/Plated Finish Assembled -- Lounge Amtrak(R) Phase IVb HO 59.98

-Tom
  by ApproachMedium

Im defiantly not waiting to see those prices on the website.... plated finish or not I don't think Amfleets are worth $60. Hell I dont think they are worth $40!!!!
  by Amtrak207

LOL i'm just going by what the Superliner MSRP's are :)
  by Amtrak207

Okay guys, Amtrak Phase IVb Amfleets and other goodies will be on the way!

1. Amtrak P42DC #156 Phase I by Athearn Inc. and Walthers (powered)
Part # 1-99450
HO Scale $109.99, Expected early fall - 2011

2. Amtrak P42DC #66 Phase II by Athearn Inc. and Walthers (powered)
Part # 1-99451

3. Amtrak P40DC #822 Phase III by Athearn Inc. and Walthers (powered)
Part # 1-99452

4. Amtrak EMD F40PH #406 Phase III by Walthers (powered)
Part # 931-339
HO Scale $64.98, Expected early fall - 2011

5. '85 Budd 10-6 (Pacific Series) Sleeper Amtrak Phase III by Walthers
Part # 932-15149
HO Scale $44.98, Expected early fall - 2011

6. '73 Budd Baggage Car Amtrak Phase III (Display Car) by Walthers
Part # 932-15169

7. Amfleet I - Food Service Car Amtrak Phase III (40th Anniversary Store Car)
by Walthers
Part # 932-16231
HO Scale $29.98, Expected early fall - 2011

8. Amfleet I - Food Service Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-16232

9. Amfleet I - Coach Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-16241

10. Amfleet II - Coach Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-16251

11. Amfleet II - Food Service Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-16261

12. '85 Budd Grill Diner Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-15129

13. '73 Budd Baggage Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-15170

14. 1700 Series Baggage Car Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-16201
HO Scale $39.98, Expected early fall - 2011

15. '85 Viewliner - Sleeper Amtrak Phase IVb by Walthers
Part # 932-16221
HO Scale $39.98, Expected early fall - 2011

*NOTE: These have not been put into the Walthers database yet, this is going by their flyer they had at National Train Day in Washington, DC. These appear to be repaints of existing models and NOT upgraded versions (interiors, metal plated finish, etc) judging from their prices. It's a great start! Keep on writing them requesting upgraded models of these!

Tom
  by ApproachMedium

I really hope they have received some upgrades, but I wont be holding my breath. Ill be happy to finally see some phase IVB equipment on the market though.
  by Amtrak207

I agree ApproachMedium. This along with their new Santa Fe El Capitan, I am sure they will be producing the Sky Lounge as a Pacific Parlour car down the road (this WILL have the metal finish as well as window gaskets (good job Walthers and thanks for listening to us), interiors etc. So I am sure Coast Starlight fans are delighted! I model East Coast and would have absolutely no use for Pacific Parlour cars, but I would pick up a car or two in Phase IVb.

I really wish these upcoming Amtrak Ph IVb releases were metal plated and upgraded! Well, time to write Walthers!

-Tom
  by ApproachMedium

I could care less about the metal plating my main concern is that they retool the car floors for better more detailed trucks and a far better draft gear system.
  by mlrr

This is hard for me to say, but I might very well bypass the Amfleets for this go-around. Just looking at the prices, it doesn't look like they've upgraded anything other than update the paint scheme.

If that's the case, I doubt I'd be willing to replace the entire fleet that I painted myself over the last seven years. I am game for some of the baggage cars, viewliners and Dining Car but then again, I've painted all (except the diner) in phase IVb myself. The only thing that would have changed the game for me is if they re-tooled the amfleets and plated them. Now the numbering might be a clue into Walthers' intention to re-tool as the same was done with the Superliner upgrade. Note the "1" that proceeds the usual 4-digit product number associated with Walthers Amtrak rollingstock.
  by Ken S.

Might be willing to invest in some of them to run with 10031.
  by Amtrak207

From the buzz on the Yahoo group "AmtrakModeler", it seems that they will ONLY be available through Amtrak from their store under "Amtrak40th. I am wondering if this is being done to get them out to toy collectors, employees, etc; and Walthers will come out with re-tooled metal plated, full interiors, grabs installed, window gaskets, etc for serious modelers. I am purely basing that on the fact that they will ONLY be sold through Amtrak.

Well, keep writing Walthers!

-Tom
  by mlrr

I wrote Walthers this morning. You may be right about that Amtrak207. The only things I'll purchase through Amtrak most likely will be the P42s and the the cars that make up the exhibit train (or at least the F40 anyway).

I'd be tempted to get the Viewliner too but not if Walthers (which I suspect) has the capability of doing a similar upgrade much like what they did with the superliners and the only upgrades there do not require a from-the-ground-up re-tooling, just the addition of interior and changing the treatment (i.e. metal finish). The Amfleets are obviously another story.
  by ApproachMedium

The F40 inst wortth it read the fine print. Its just a phase 3 F40 and it comes with a set of 1971 and 2011 decals. Might as well take a kato and add the decals yourself.
  by mlrr

It's sad to say but Walthers confirmed that the cars are repaints only. Additionally, I noted that they now have the older cars listed with an option to backorder. I guess since Amtrak commissioned them to do a run (probably before Walthers was ready to deal with the Amfleets again) Walthers decided to get the most bang for the buck and included any other phases in this next run provided there were sufficient backorders.

This is such a dilemma for me. I don't know if I want to bother investing in the re-painted cars or just wait for them to re-tool (if they ever do). Personally, I don't think I'll break my neck for these. If I see some here or there at a show or hobby shop for a decent price, I'll indulge myself, otherwise, I'll enjoy the models I put time and money into almost seven years ago.

It seems however that for the time being, hopes of a re-tooled Walthers Amfleet have been diminished.
  by Mirai Zikasu

I wouldn't even be so generous as to pick the things up discount. The Walthers Amfleet tooling is now 30 years old and very inaccurate. The fact that Walthers has been designing name trains to specifics for the last few years--including most recently the El Capitan high levels--and reworked the Superliners for the added frills of the plated finish and interiors but then goes to release lipstick-on-a-pig new phase Amfleets with no changes is ridiculous and a damn insult as far as I'm concerned. I'll admit, I'm happy to see the 1700 series baggage cars and Viewliner released as both are accurate models, and the Viewliner just needs an interior--which is easy enough to build with some styrene and seats. But, the Amfleets are a complete waste of money in their current iteration, and I would hope that any potential buyers will tell Walthers to wise up, and if they release a new model, to do it right like they've done for the name trains. Oh, and fix the 73' baggage and diner cars too. Both were never fully accurate for post-HEP Amtrak (doors on the baggage, kitchen layout on the diner), and should be stupidly easy to modify given the modular design of the the Walthers Budd cars. If all this money is being spent to make new cars for Amtrak, work out a deal to do them right rather than waste money making half-assed souvenirs.

With that said, since NEC modelers are getting screwed again and there still won't be an Amfleet on the market, I'll be spending more money on frankensteining the most accurate ones I can get from those old Bachman carbodies. Back to the drawing board...