• Leaving for NS training ctr on Sunday, expectations?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by stewmagoo

Hey guys and gals,

I am leaving Sunday for Atlanta area heading to NS training center. I am just curious what to expect, what should I take with me? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  by MikeJ

Expect to follow rules and be watched closely. Just behave yourself and you'll be fine. Make sure you bring proper footwear with you. They will check it before they let you in the classroom.
  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

goood luck! Dont let the railfan or buff side come out IF you are one. Pay attention and remember you are embarking on a LIFESTYLE not a JOB. I've been there............
  by Engineer Spike

Forget anything about trains that you learned through buffing! Half of what is said on this forum is talking out ones A@$. Most of the railroaders who post here are serious and reliable, but you don't know enough yet to know the difference. I have seen plenty of misinformation here.

Don't ever say "I Know." to someone training you. Railroaders hate that and will let you sink. This is serious business, and you need to heed everything that a trainer is telling you! They will send you to the second unit to sit, then tell the trainer that you don't care about learning.
  by bulldog2048

I am also leaving this Sunday to start training on Monday 03/4/11 in Georgia. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the ladder test. I have been hearing alot about it. I hear alot of people fail it and you ony get 2 chances. I am wondering is there a certain way you have to grab the ladder or hang on it? Just kinda curious what to expect during the training.
  by drewg350

My advice if your a "railfan" or "foamer": don't get a job on the railroad. I guarantee in a matter of a few days of working, any "love" for trains will be gone, and gone forever. I know that sounds absolutely ridiculous, but it's absolutely true. You'll ruin your hobby for life and never look at trains in the same light again. Before your employed with the RR half the "mystic" of being a railfan is the curiosity of actually being on or running a train. Once you do if a few times, that feeling is gone, and gone forever. The only way to describe it is like this: take anything you've ever really longed for, be it some kind of sports car or killer home media center, whatever. Anything that took you months or years to finally afford or to buy it. You finally go get it. After a few weeks or months, or in some case it may take a year or too, but at some point, you realize it's no big deal or at the very least, after owning it for some time you never feel towards it like you did before you owned it. That's the same thing that happens once you start working for the RR if your a railfan.