• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by CNJGeep

Beech Grove was headed through Metuchen E/B Sunday @ 1300 hrs.
  by hi55us

JR4815D2 wrote:
Irishiron wrote:On the rear of train 98(13) into Jersey today was Southern 1, PPCX800034.

And of course.
Train AMT661(14) was the Circus Extra. AMTK661/AMTK660. 59 loads x 0 mtys. 5371ft at 4318 tons. Handed off from NS HC90 to AMT661 for the second leg of the run to Long Island.
It was nice to see it at Secaucus Junction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kklToSgPUuk
I assume the train was going to madison square garden(penn station)? How do they unload this massive train in NYP?
  by nomis

by daylight4449

by JimBoylan

hi55us wrote:I assume the train was going to madison square garden(penn station)? How do they unload this massive train in NYP?
They unload and store the train on the Long Island Rail Road and march the elephants through the Queens - Midtown Tunnel. They may use E-Z Pass now, but I'm sure some trainer taught an elephant to hold the toll money in its trunk and give it to the collector.
  by airman00

Those are interesting pictures. You have the nice well maintained passenger tracks and then the beat-up old freight tracks. I like the picture with that former conrail engine right near those worn out sidings. It looks like they still get serviced. You'd think they would do some maintence on the freight lines. :)
  by The EGE

JimBoylan wrote:
hi55us wrote:I assume the train was going to madison square garden(penn station)? How do they unload this massive train in NYP?
They unload and store the train on the Long Island Rail Road and march the elephants through the Queens - Midtown Tunnel. They may use E-Z Pass now, but I'm sure some trainer taught an elephant to hold the toll money in its trunk and give it to the collector.
Until I looked it up, I thought you were kidding. There's an interesting bar bet in there somewhere...
  by Irishiron

Negative. Long Island Veterans Colosseum via Garden City, LI, NY.
  by Greg Moore

Just saw what I believe was a Silver Service train, SB just east of Metropark. Looked like it had Hickory Creek on the back end.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Would you recall, Mr. Moore, if the Baggage was on the head or between the line Sleepers and Hickory Creek.

(I ASS-U-ME that the Baggage was not to the rear of the PV, or PPC in Amtrakese).
  by atsf sp

beech Grove was at the end of 30 last night
  by Greg Moore

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Would you recall, Mr. Moore, if the Baggage was on the head or between the line Sleepers and Hickory Creek.

(I ASS-U-ME that the Baggage was not to the rear of the PV, or PPC in Amtrakese).
I don't recall, but I believe in this case the baggage car was not present at the rear. I know the sleepers were.
  by strench707

Gilbert B Norman wrote:if the Baggage was on the head or between the line Sleepers and Hickory Creek.
From every video I have seen recently, it went coaches, cafe, diner, sleepers, baggage, private car(s). Also the LSL has the baggage separating the PVC as well.

Does anyone know if they let PVC passengers walk through the baggage car to the rest of the train? I can't really get a firm grasp of how off limits the baggage car officially is. Many times I have been told its okay to go in if you need to (like to get something out of a checked bag) but other times I have heard otherwise.

I'm not a real fan of this whole baggage on back thing, hopefully it will change back....

Davis
  by chuchubob

Greg Moore wrote:Just saw what I believe was a Silver Service train, SB just east of Metropark. Looked like it had Hickory Creek on the back end.
Train 97 Silver Meteor was seen in Philly on Thursday 1 hr 27 min late with a green open-platform PV on the rear. I suspect it was SOU 1 returning from it's Monday trip.