• L&H Memories: Bob Huyler Goes to a Yard Sale

• Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail
Discussion of the L&HR and its predecessor the Warwick Valley Railroad for the period 1860-1976 at its inclusion with ConRail

Moderator: David

by jmchitvt

Well, you didn't have to look for signs, or even need directions.

We're at Foley Square in the Financial District in lower Manhattan - and it's Spring 1958.

Our favorite little L&H is shopping at the auctioning off of the O&W, and on a budget.

The F-3's went off to a western road, the NYC got some NW-2's (wouldn't been fine to get one to Warwick, as "flat switching" the westbounds is less than a year away. Wonder what one would'of looked like in a L&H scheme?

Anyway, they came home with that O&W treasure the 105 flanger (so lovingly maintained by the L&H, then the P-burg RR historians), some drafting equipment for Gordy Ellms (himself former O&W), and THAT power track switch.

Then it was off to lunch ,and back to Warwick.

Later on I'll tell you where that electric track switch (the L&H's only one) was put to good use. (But should'of gotten two of them!! - and I'll tell you about that too.)
  by njmidland

And then there was the yard sale, well auction at Warwick HQ in 1982. Most of my railroad paperwork collection is still in the file cabinet I won that day along with a bunch of employee safety award pins. Wish I could have bought more.
  by Railjourner

jmchitvt wrote:Well, you didn't have to look for signs, or even need directions.

We're at Foley Square in the Financial District in lower Manhattan - and it's Spring 1958.

Our favorite little L&H is shopping at the auctioning off of the O&W, and on a budget.

The F-3's went off to a western road, the NYC got some NW-2's (wouldn't been fine to get one to Warwick, as "flat switching" the westbounds is less than a year away. Wonder what one would'of looked like in a L&H scheme?

Anyway, they came home with that O&W treasure the 105 flanger (so lovingly maintained by the L&H, then the P-burg RR historians), some drafting equipment for Gordy Ellms (himself former O&W), and THAT power track switch.

Then it was off to lunch ,and back to Warwick.

Later on I'll tell you where that electric track switch (the L&H's only one) was put to good use. (But should'of gotten two of them!! - and I'll tell you about that too.)
I love to read your L&H stories, PLEASE keep them coming! :)
  by jmchitvt

Thank you for reading my material, railjourner.

God willing, I will continue.

Just got back from the Tennessee Valley and will put together another posting soon.

Upcoming will be a discussion of L&H traffic patterns, 24 hours at Andover!!, a look at 1963 symbol freight schedules, etc.

Now back to tending to a sick lamb here on the farm!!