• Alco RS1, RS2, RS3 on commuter trains

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by dlandw

Hello all,

As I mentioned in the thread about the MP15s as passenger power on the LIRR, I've always seen the MP15 as a successor to the Alco RS1, RS2 and RS3, which truly were "road switchers" and filled both roles on many railroads, including the LIRR.

Which brings up a couple questions about the Alcos:

1) Besides LIRR, does anyone know of other railroads that used the Alco RSs on commuter trains?

Here are the only ones I know for sure:
RS1: NYSW, CNJ, Chicago & Western Indiana
RS2 or RS3: NYC, CNJ, Erie and post-merger EL, B&M

If I recall correctly, the DL&W RS3s lacked steam generators. If they were used on commuter trains, it would have been during the summer only.
PRR, RDG and NH operated these units, but I've never seen a photo of one on their commuter trains.
Rutland used RS1s on passenger trains, but they weren't commuter trains.

2) When did the RS1s last operate in passenger service on the LIRR?

3) When did the RS1s last operate in freight / work train service on the LIRR?
I recall seeing the RS1s in faded MTA blue/yellow paint (presumably in the dead line) at Hillside Yard sometime in the late 70s, possibly 1979.

4) Same questions as 2 and 3, but for the RS2s and RS3s?
I never saw either of these models in operation on the LIRR.

Cheers,
Al "dlandw"
  by Eliphaz

the New Haven used its RS-2s/3s on passenger trains,
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ew%20Haven
I dont know what the timetable of this train is but Hartford to Bridgeport via Waterbury could be called a commuter train.

I feel certain there is a picture of a NH RS-2 or 3 in Boston South Station in Patrick Doran "Commuter Railroads" , but I wont be able to look at that book until tomorro, anyone else have a copy of that book?
  by baileyjet2000

I believe the PRR used RS3 on the commuter runs into and out of Pittsburgh. I'm not sure of other locations or roads until I have a opportunity for more research.

Ray in RSW
  by Eliphaz

Dorin doesnt have a photo of a NH RS-3 at Boston South Station, (I misremembered that, those photos are all of GP9's)
but on its way to South Station in Canton, MA
scanned:

Dorin also provides photos of CRI&P RS-3s at work on its Chicago south side service

this is one my favorite books.
"Commuter Railroads" Patrick C. Dorin
Superior Publishing 1970. 192 pages, lots of photos, including lots of steam.
I know of a copy for sale for not much money, pm if interested.
  by keyboardkat

The Susquehanna used RS-1s on its commuter trains from Butler, New Jersey, to the Erie terminal at Jersey City and later to Hoboken. They had sort of odd-looking silver-sided commuter cars which appeared in photos to have bars on the windows (to keep the patients in? Or to keep little kids from falling out?) I never saw one of these cars in person. Did they have A.C.? Did they have decent equalized trucks?
  by keyboardkat

Since the RS-1, at 1,000hp, had less muscle than the RS-3 or FM H-16-44, the LIRR tended to use the RS-1s on off-peak and weekend service with just two or three cars. But they did have a 6-car Jamaica-to-OB train that had an RS-1 most of the time. Later that train traded its 6 P-54s for a consist of four P-72s and/or ex-B&M American Flyer cars. The train kept its RS-1 for a while, and then the RS-1 was replaced by an RS-3 most of the time.

There was also an 8-car rush hour train from Hicksville with an RS-1. The train deadheaded out to Hicksville with the diesel running short hood first. The engine ran around the train and took the train back as a local in revenue service. There was also a rush-hour train to Huntington that sometimes had an RS-1 and sometimes an RS-3, running short-hood first eastbound. All this, of course, was long before electrification reached Hicksville or Huntington.
  by Noel Weaver

You can add the New Haven to the list of railroads that used RS-1's in passenger service back in the late 40's when steam was on the skids and anything that would run on diesel oil was used to pull passenger cars.
The Delaward and Hudson, Western Maryland and many, many other railroads that used RS-2's and/or RS-3's in regular passenger service, too many to elaborate on here right now.
I well remember the RS-1's on the LIRR, very common on the Oyster Bay Branch, I have movies and slides of them in this service and have ridden them as well. They were a lot better engine than some made them out to be.
Noel Weaver
  by Tommy Meehan

keyboardkat wrote:The Susquehanna used RS-1s on its commuter trains from Butler, New Jersey, to the Erie terminal at Jersey City and later to Hoboken. They had sort of odd-looking silver-sided commuter cars which appeared in photos to have bars on the windows
There's something for everyone in this thread! :)

At the December 2010 meeting of the NY Chapter of the R&LHS we saw a wonderful video entitled "Bygone Days on the NYS&W, by Bob Underwood." It was hosted by chapter member Jim Guthrie, himself something of a Susquehanna expert.

Anyway, the Susquehanna did operate RS1s to the very last days of passenger service in 1966 but they never operated into Hoboken. Their last waterfront terminal was the old Erie Pavonia terminal in Jersey City. Overshadowed by the West Shore ferry discontinunce case, NJPUC forced the Erie to keep running the Pavonia-Chambers St ferry until a successful appeal was made to the ICC pursuant to the 1958 Transportation Act. I think Pavonia finally closed in December 1959. NYS&W trains then began terminating and originating at Susquehanna Transfer in North Bergen on the east edge of the Jersey Meadowlands. The Manhattan connection was by PSNJ bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal.

The NYS&W stainless steel coaches mentioned were from the Budd Company and delivered in the 1950s. They did not, however, have air-conditioning. That was TOO MUCH for the Susquehanna. :) Instead they had windows that opened and were equipped with bars to prevent someone from losing an arm or worse.

When Susquehanna "traded them in" for thirty year old Harriman style coaches, the non-a/c Budds were sold. To the Saudi Arabian Railways!
  by Jeff Smith

Site Admin: Moving to Alco forum; we seem to have added additional jurisdictions. Leaving shadow topic in LIRR, though, and if someone wants to move it back to "bump" it, just let me know.
  by Jeff Smith

"Re-bumping" to LIRR, with an emphasis on the original LIRR question. Certainly, the sidelight info is very interesting.
  by Tommy Meehan

I guess you could give honorable mention to the D&H. The Delaware & Hudson used their RS3s on the Binghamton trains which, though they weren't commuter trains did carry commuters.

I know this because it was mentioned in an old news article about NYSPSC approving a 10% or 15% hike in commuter fares. This was back in the 1950s.

The article mentioned that among the NY State railroads effected were the D&H which sold a number of monthly or multi-ride tickets to commuters on the Binghamton trains.

Oops this has been moved back to LIRR. Sorry! :(
  by Jeff Smith

No worries, Tommy. The OP is still looking for the LIRR info, but as stated, the sidelight info is still interesting. If we can get an answer on the LIRR stuff, I'll move it back to ALCO.
  by Tommy Meehan

Tommy Meehan wrote:I think Pavonia finally closed in December 1959. NYS&W trains then began terminating and originating at Susquehanna Transfer in North Bergen on the east edge of the Jersey Meadowlands. The Manhattan connection was by PSNJ bus to Port Authority Bus Terminal.
Thanks Jeff.

Btw, I would like to correct something I wrote previously about the old Erie Jersey City Passenger Terminal at Pavonia.

The Erie Pavonia-Chambers Street ferry service quit before the West Shore ferries made their last runs in March 1959. December seems to stick in my mind so I guess they stopped in December 1958, not 1959. Pavonia Terminal also would've closed at that time.

I can (and will) check this with the aforementioned Jim Guthrie, but I think by December 1958 the Susquehana had already left Pavonia. In order to save the terminal charges I believe. Or at least that was the public explanation.

All that was left at Jersey City was the six (Nyack) Northern Branch trains (three each way) operating during rush hour. Usually with Erie RS2s or 3s! Quite expensive to keep an entire terminal, two ferry houses and a ferry service open for three trains each rush hour but once upon a time that was the way things were done.
  by Tommy Meehan

They sure looked good in grey and orange.