• NYNJ/ NYAR/NYCross daylight spots?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by mirrodie

So my son's birthday is next week and I have the week off. He's been asking to see diesels like Mavis from the Thomas series.

Mind you this is a kid who's awake 8 am to 7 pm so I am looking for leads as to where I could possibly take him to see this in Brooklyn, Fresh Pond, etc.

Any recommendations on where and what time I could stop by to see some movement?

I took a drive over to PineAire and saw that nothing seemed visible from the road.

We appreciate any advice. Thanks.
  by RRJS3

New York & Atlantic usually runs at least one train each way during daylight hours. The RS40 goes east in the morning sometime after the rush, and returns west as the RS41 in mid afternoon...typically some time between 1:30 and 3:30.

There really is no set schedule, so it's tough to predict times and destinations. But if they are indeed running, you would almost certainly see them go through Mineola or Hicksville. Good luck!

Oh...and as a very young kid, I too used to compare the MP15's to Mavis. Your son is not alone.
  by break the seals

The RS40 almost always follows the 9:36 KO train outta jay.. It works the Central Branch these days.
  by mirrodie

Thanks for your answers thus far.

The RS40 definitely sounds like the better way to go, catching it in the morning. It sounds perfect, in fact. What points out east are possible that it would serve on an average weekday? If it shot past Pinelawn, we'd gladly follow it. Does it go to PineAire?
  by mirrodie

Just want to say thanks again. My son's birthday is this week. Just added Mavis the diesel to his train and he's excited.

The RS40 runs daily after the 936 to KO leaves Jay, as I read above. Does that RS 40 go to Pineaire at some point? Would it be worth out time to head a bit east of Pineaire in the hopes of seeing something?
  by RRJS3

The RS40 does not always stay on the Main Line all the way out to Pineaire. There are times when they go up the Port Jeff line for some customers in the Huntington area, but even more often, they tend to serve World Recycling and Amco Plastics on the Central Branch. It's tough to predict which line they'll run on any given day.

As far as east of Pineaire is concerned, that's RS60 territory. I believe that train leaves Pineaire after the morning rush headed east, and returns some time in the afternoon. I don't know how many days a week this train runs.
  by mirrodie

Thanks. I might play it safe and stay with RS 60, since I have no clue where 40 will head.
Too bad I thought some employees could offer more.

For the love of a son.
  by Shavano

Depending on whose running, the 60 usually leaves Pineaire at around 10.
  by railfan365

It would be a gamble - but the former Cross Harbour Railyard might provde some good trainspotting during daylight hours.