• Amtrak Assistant Passenger Conductor Test

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by dhlunar

I applied a couple of days ago for an Assistant Passenger Conductor trainee position on the Amtrak career website. I know there is a pre-employment test. Anyone have any clue on how long it might be before I receive a notice to appear for the pre-employment test? The posting on the website expires sometime in late Feb.

Also, another question in regards to the physical exam. I am hearing impaired and wear a hearing aid. I hope that is not a disqualification.
  by ADL6009

as long as you can pass the hearing test with the hearing aid that should not be a problem.
  by dhlunar

I heard back yesterday from HR and they invited me to pre-employment testing next week. I have a couple of questions regarding pre-employment testing:

1. What type of dress code is expected? I want to say at least business casual (because it is paper-and-pencil test), but I don't want to under do it or over do it with the dress code.

2. How long will the testing day process take?

3. How soon after the test will I found out if I passed or not?
  by mkerfe

Congrats on getting the invite.

As far as what to wear I think you will be fine with business casual. Button down shirt and khaki pants or something similar.
The whole process, this is what the railroad is, testing etc, if I remember correctly takes 2-3 hours. It is not that difficult. If you are rusty on your basic math I would practice that a little bit (I knew there was goIng to be a math component so I brushed up on my division and multiplication skills and was glad that I did). Results take a week or two.

Which crewbase are you testing for?
  by Lefty33

"What type of dress code is expected?"

As previously answered business casual will more than suffice. If you wear the full suit you will likely stand out as the only one.

"How long will the testing day process take?"

I believe when I did it last year it took about 3-4 hours.

Granted that was because we were supposed to start at eight and we never got rolling until almost 8:30 and the "scare" speech took a while as well.

"How soon after the test will I found out if I passed or not?"

At the end of the test you are given a number to call whatever is the closest HR office on a certain day and within a certain time range like let's say you wuld have to call on 2/28 between one and four.

The wait was a little less than two weeks until the call and then if you passed the test and they want to interview you they will give you a time to show up when you call.
At least when I did the process as part of the scare speech, I guess to get you ready for the life style, you were told that if you got an interview time that was your time.

If you couldn't make you just flunked out and would have to start all over again.

The math part of the test is multiple choice and you will be given a piece of paper to work out your answers. Be ready for basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, and some percentages used for figuring out ticket discounts.
  by dhlunar

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of going business casual for the testing and a suit for the interview. However, I just wanted to double check in order to make sure I wasn't going to stand out.

I applied for the WAS crewbase (Washington, DC). I was told that it is for the WAS-NYP route.
  by CSX Conductor

I'm not sure if it's given to asst.conductors, but you may have to take The Hogan Personality Test.
  by mkerfe

CSX Conductor wrote:I'm not sure if it's given to asst.conductors, but you may have to take The Hogan Personality Test.
It is given to AC's (or at least it was 2 years ago).

a hint on that, for the question that says "I feel it is okay to steal from my employer" STRONGLY DISAGREE!!!