• Next train is...signs on platform

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by apodino

I was thinking about something that was mentioned in another forum, the subject of in and out bound, and then I realized that at stations that serve trains to multiple destinations and even those that don't T ridership could really benefit by some simple LED boards at various locatations along the platform. This is very similar to systems I have seen in San Francisco and London.

The LED signs would contain info on the next couple of trains coming through the station, how long before they get there, and where the train is heading. Stations that I think could really Benefit from this.

Any Red Line Station heading towards Ashmont and Braintree before Andrew.
Courthouse or World Trade Center on the Silver Line (Which may already have it with all the money the T has pumped into that)
Any Station between Boylston and Kenmore on the Green Line
Back Bay Station on the Commuter Rail
Ruggles on the CR

Any thoughts on this? I do know that the T did put information monitors trackside at Back Bay to help out with this, but Ruggles could still use some improvement. Also the Subway lines could really benefit from this in my opinion. Thoughts, comments?

by efin98

This was discussed at length before and you took your shots there, this is a duplicate thread...

by vanshnookenraggen

JFK/UMASS has a sign that lights up when the next inbound train arrives because of the two platforms but that is the closest the T has. It is a good idea but I don't know if it would work. This is the T after all.

by GP40MC 1116

I know exactly what he is talking about. Washington DC Metro Has it, it tells the next train comming into the station, it's line/destination and how many cars. Plus it's ETA. and not to mention the nice Flashing lights on the edge of the platform

by iandavid

vanshnookenraggen wrote:JFK/UMASS has a sign that lights up when the next inbound train arrives because of the two platforms but that is the closest the T has. It is a good idea but I don't know if it would work. This is the T after all.
I can get you one closer. One of my favorite parts of the Blue Line is the big electrical windowboxes they have at Maverick and Bowdoin that contain track maps with lights showing track sections that are occupied. This would be a far easier thing to implement system-wide, as the technology already exists, and it shows riders a great deal more information than a simple LED sign. (Edit: Well, except for destinations, I suppose.)

The one at Maverick is the best. It hangs from the ceiling above you when you enter through the turnstiles.
  by jonnhrr

I have seen such a system in London where they have it on most lines, but the best ones are on the Docklands Light Rwy and siome of the tube lines, (Central and Jubilee at least I think) where the sign indicates the next 2 train's destination and expected arrival time. The lines mentioned have the advantage of computer control systems that probably lend themselves to having this information available - I don't know if the T's ATO provides this kind of location information that can be tapped into.

Jon

by apodino

I was thinking something like what the Muni has in san francisco. Not only do the signage on the platform tell you how long to wait and the destination, but they are clearly announced over the pa system. Its really something. Imagine waiting at Copley and hearing "Next in three minutes, D train to Riverside, followed in five minutes by E train to Heath Street" And LED's displaying this. It would be great. Of course, its not exactly high on the Ts priority list. And the T has this kind of technology in place on the Silver Line, why not the rest of the subway system?

by efin98

apodino wrote:And the T has this kind of technology in place on the Silver Line, why not the rest of the subway system?
Simple: cost. Point blank it's the cost of it.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yes efin is correct, the T is cutting service to decrease its 16 mil overbudget, we won't be seeing anything like this on the T for a loooong time