• Washington Secondary

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

Can anyone tell me about the Washington Secondary? This line ran from Plainfield CT to Providence RI. I am curios as to if any of it is intact in RI. Also when was it ripped up or when was service reduced and by whom? How long was it as well? I know a short portion is still serviceable by P&W in Plainfield. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  by Noel Weaver

The New Haven operated this line between Providence and Willimantic. It was abandoned between Washington and Plainfield either in 1967 or very early in 1968.
The line between Providence and Washington was operated by Conrail as late as 1981. I will have to dig up some more old Conrail timetables to try to find out just what happened and when, not today though.
I rode this line several different times and it was a pretty decent line to ride over. It was also handy for detour moves when the worst happened as it did occasionally.
Noel Weaver