• Happy 10th birthday Green Line extension

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by tommyboy6181

Hard to believe it's been 10 years already, but the Green Line extension from Anacostia to Branch Ave opened on January 13, 2001. It marked several milestones. First, it was the last 5 stations to be completed in the 103 mile Adopted Regional System. Second, the above ground stations would be the last we have seen to date of the "peak roof", being replaced by the new Gullwing design used on the Blue Line extension and at New York Ave.

I have to say that the peak roof looks really good on many of the stations, including Branch Ave. It's nice that they went the way of Franconia-Springfield with keeping the ceilings up higher and giving more space.

Metro also learned how badly it estimated the ridership volumes. That issue was only multiplied by the late deliveries of the then-newly introduced CAF 5000 series.

Any thoughts?
  by JackRussell

tommyboy6181 wrote:Hard to believe it's been 10 years already, but the Green Line extension from Anacostia to Branch Ave opened on January 13, 2001.
No kidding - has it been 10 years already? I remember years ago I was in one of the stations and I encountered a tourist who wanted to know how to get on the Green Line. They were rather disappointed when I told them how long the wait would be.
  by Sand Box John

Gees!! Has it been that long!!

Some of the first digital pictures I ever took were during the construction of the line. Kodak DC210, still have the camera and it still works.

Southern Avenue taken on a snowy afternoon a couple of days before the line opened.

Never was a big fan of that platform canopy design. The design made its architectural debut at the stations on the western end of the Orange line. I'm rather fond of the original gull wing canopies that are found at the first generation surface stations. The canopies in "new generation" surface stations in my opinion will not look as good in 10 years compared to what their 30 plus year old cousins look like today.
  by SchuminWeb

I think the big thing about the older style canopies (everything pre-2004) is that they were mostly concrete, while the newer ones are painted steel. Those concrete canopies (of any design) had a certain something to them that the 2004 stations do not have and never will have, since all of the stations in the original planned system at least followed the same general conventions, even if the specific executions differed over the years.

Also, John, great shot of Southern Avenue pre-opening! You can certainly tell that the station's not open because the platform's completely covered...
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
Also, John, great shot of Southern Avenue pre-opening! You can certainly tell that the station's not open because the platform's completely covered...

The snow picture was taken 01 09 2001

I took this one four day later 01 13 2001

Here is what the station looked like on 04 18 1999
  by R36 Combine Coach

While the final Green Line extension opened in January 2001, the original 103-mile system was approved by Congress in 1977 and set for completion in 1987!
  by Sand Box John

"R36 Combine Coach"
While the final Green Line extension opened in January 2001, the original 103-mile system was approved by Congress in 1977 and set for completion in 1987!

The ARS in 1977 was just under 100 miles. It did not become a 103 miles system until after all of the alignment of the E and F routes were finalized in the late 1980s.
  by R36 Combine Coach

It was around 90 miles then as proposed.
  by Sand Box John

"R36 Combine Coach"
It was around 90 miles then as proposed.

The 1968 ARS was 97.2 miles, later revisions, 1969 98 miles, 1975 99.8 miles, 1978 101 miles, 1979 103 miles, 1997 106 miles, the most resent revision 2002 bring it to a total of 129.