Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by labaienordique

I'm planning a trip to the prairies by train. I'm departing from Capréol, and making stops in:

*Hornepayne, ON
*Sioux Lookout, ON
Winnipeg
*Dauphin, MB
Canora, SK
Melville, SK
Saskatoon

*scheduled breaks

Does anyone have any information/pictures of the stations & particularly for Saskatoon, any information pertaining to access to public transportation? Any recommended sights to visit?
  by bitf

Hmm. I'm assuming from your planned visit to Dauphin that you're heading to Churchill. Is that correct? How long do you plan on being in Winnipeg?
  by labaienordique

Sorry I worded this wrong. The train stops for breaks in the communities with asterixes. I wouldn't be staying in those places for long.

I've been to Winnipeg before so I'm only staying the night. I'm planning on catching a Moose game but other than that, I'm open to suggestions.From WPG, I'm taking the #693 up to Canora. Stay the night there. Catch a bus during the day from Canora to Melville, take the evening train to Saskatoon and then stay in Saskatoon for three nights.

I haven't really explored much of Western Canada beyond Thunder Bay, so I thought this would be an opportunity to take advantage of Via Rail's 50% discount & explore places that I wouldn't explore otherwise. What better way to do it than to do it in comfort & not worry about driving.
  by bitf

Well, I can give you some ideas for things in winnipeg, about what time will you be here?
labaienordique wrote:Sorry I worded this wrong. The train stops for breaks in the communities with asterixes. I wouldn't be staying in those places for long.

I've been to Winnipeg before so I'm only staying the night. I'm planning on catching a Moose game but other than that, I'm open to suggestions.From WPG, I'm taking the #693 up to Canora. Stay the night there. Catch a bus during the day from Canora to Melville, take the evening train to Saskatoon and then stay in Saskatoon for three nights.

I haven't really explored much of Western Canada beyond Thunder Bay, so I thought this would be an opportunity to take advantage of Via Rail's 50% discount & explore places that I wouldn't explore otherwise. What better way to do it than to do it in comfort & not worry about driving.
  by labaienordique

Arriving on April 9.
  by bitf

labaienordique wrote:Arriving on April 9.

Here are my suggestions, this is stuff that I personally would like, so feel free to ignore it:
-The train station has a decent museum inside it
-If you exit the train station from the east door and head south down to the Forks, an old rail yard that is now a park area that is Winnipeg's equivalent of the Byward Market in Ottawa. You will also see the construction site that will become the Canadian Museum for Human Rights. Hopefully the flood will have subsided enough to open the riverwalk, which is nice if walking is your thing. It runs from the Forks to the Legislative building, which is also nice if only for it's limestone walls and the grand staircase inside, but hey tours are free and somewhat interesting.
- Heading north out the west door of the station you wold reach an area of town called the Exchange District, full of old buildings. It's a fairly eclectic area now, but is worth seeing for the architecture.
- Straight out of the east door is a cobble stone path that runs to a pedestrian bridge over the river into the French Quarter. If you head south once off the bridge you will reach the facade of a burned out cathedral, now open to the public. Which is sort of cool, next door is a nice museum in a old convent devoted to the history of Winnipeg's French community.
- City tours are also available in the train station when the Canadian is laying over.
Just a few ideas, if there is something more specific you are interested in I might be able to offer some suggestions.