• Lakeshore Limited Train Fire

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Overtime

I heard that the Eastbound Lakeshore limited train is on fire near Rotterdam New York on Sunday 1/9/11
  by the sarge

Isn't this the third fire in three weeks for Amtrak?

Soon they will be posting these at the stations and on board:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by DECA

Must have been a small fire, #49 is on schedule at this time to Utica.
  by DECA

Sorry about that, gave the westbound facts, I see on Amtrak status for 48, that there was a long delay between Schenectady & Albany.
  by Dick H

Fire was on the eastbound #48 west of Schenectady. News media
reported it was the second locomotive. Amtrak status is showing
#48 due into NYP 2 hours and 28 minutes late and #448 is estimated
3 hrs and 17 minutes late into Boston.
  by Railhead

The East bound Lakeshore limited consisting of lead engine #192 and second engine #70
caught fire slightlly east of Schenectady NY today in Rotterdam NY about 4:00 p.m. The second engine #70 caught fire.
The fire was out about 6:00 p.m. Several local fire companies responded. The passengers where not evacuated from the train. I have several pictures, I will post them as soon as I figure out how
  by Terrapin Station

Railhead wrote:The East bound Lakeshore limited consisting of lead engine #192 and second engine #70
caught fire slightlly east of Schenectady NY today in Rotterdam NY about 4:00 p.m. The second engine #70 caught fire.
The fire was out about 6:00 p.m. Several local fire companies responded. The passengers where not evacuated from the train. I have several pictures, I will post them as soon as I figure out how
I have many photos.

Nice big high quality photo: http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20 ... tterdam-ny

Many smaller photos: http://www.timesunion.com/local/article ... 947218.php
  by hi55us

I am glad the fire department was able to access the row, seems as if it lit some surrounding trees on fire as well.
  by Jersey_Mike

It appears that they did need water that time. I guess it's time for Amtrak to increase inspections for fuel leaks....or begin stocking the safety cabinet with marshmallows.
  by Railhead

No trees where on fire. The orange in the trees is from all the lights on the emergency vehicles.
The fire was contained to the locomotive.
  by RickRackstop

This is the third time since Nov. 10 for Amtrak maybe they should consider a fire suppression system this time. On the VIA forum they have a forensic report on the same kind of fire from Aug. 2009. It says that the hold down bolts on the high pressure jumper failed through fatigue as the results of improper bolt tension, i.e. they didn't follow the correct procedure in tightening the bolts.
  by Jersey_Mike

Just noticed that the two engines were not running elephant style. That's strange for Amtrak.
  by SwingMan

Jersey_Mike wrote:Just noticed that the two engines were not running elephant style. That's strange for Amtrak.
The main reason they do it that way is incase the first unit has problems, they don't need to call a host RR for help in-route.
  by Greg Moore

Huh? That doesn't follow. Wouldn't that be a reason you'd be MORE likely to run elephant style?