• EWR Station Street Exit?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Kahlua

Is there a exit to the street available at EWR station? I'm traveling to a business three blocks away and would rather take the train than the bus.
  by Ken W2KB

Kahlua wrote:Is there a exit to the street available at EWR station? I'm traveling to a business three blocks away and would rather take the train than the bus.
No public exit there. Only the restricted access road for authorized vehicles only, on the east side of the station.
  by Terrapin Station

Kahlua wrote:Is there a exit to the street available at EWR station? I'm traveling to a business three blocks away and would rather take the train than the bus.
The airport rail station is accessible only by train or monorail.
http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet. ... nectionsTo
  by HBLR

Where are you trying to get, and from where? Might make sense for you to take the 62 and request a stop at the nearest safe location to exit the bus. The access lane to the rail link station is right along the 62's route on the highway there, near the holiday in and the beer factory. I hear you on train over bus, but the 62 has those new busses and they are pretty nice compared to the old rattling crap-boxes they are phasing out, might be worth it if your destination is right in that stretch between the limo lot and the factory. There may be other bus routes that go where you need to go from the airport, all you'd need to do is ride to terminal C and wait there at the bus lane. Good luck!
  by Kahlua

I was trying to get to Frelinghusen Ave and Noble St. from NYC... I ended up taking the 107L bus that left me on the corner, but then I had to wait an hour for the return trip (in friday's snowstorm) as my business only required 5 minutes... The reason I wanted the train over the bus was that I was traveling with a toddler...
  by OportRailfan

HBLR wrote:Where are you trying to get, and from where? Might make sense for you to take the 62 and request a stop at the nearest safe location to exit the bus. The access lane to the rail link station is right along the 62's route on the highway there, near the holiday in and the beer factory. I hear you on train over bus, but the 62 has those new busses and they are pretty nice compared to the old rattling crap-boxes they are phasing out, might be worth it if your destination is right in that stretch between the limo lot and the factory. There may be other bus routes that go where you need to go from the airport, all you'd need to do is ride to terminal C and wait there at the bus lane. Good luck!
Kahlua, your best bet is to take the bus, as the Airtrain will not allow you to exit the station at ground level...and that the station only has a secure access road and is located remotely near the Bud plant, and rail RoW's.
Don't know where you're going but the 62 bus might do the trick.
I explored my different options when I commuted there for a summer.
  by CarterB

I don't know if there is pedestrian access from the north end of the far West platform to the West, but if there is, Frelinghusen Ave and Noble St. is only one block West of the station thru the back lot of a business there on Frelinghusen Ave. Or...go on into the Airport Terminal C and take a very short cab ride there.
  by R36 Combine Coach

For some time Amtrak's system timetable book listed EWR station's address as "Tower Road, 07114".
  by cruiser939

HBLR wrote:Where are you trying to get, and from where? Might make sense for you to take the 62 and request a stop at the nearest safe location to exit the bus. The access lane to the rail link station is right along the 62's route on the highway there, near the holiday in and the beer factory. I hear you on train over bus, but the 62 has those new busses and they are pretty nice compared to the old rattling crap-boxes they are phasing out, might be worth it if your destination is right in that stretch between the limo lot and the factory. There may be other bus routes that go where you need to go from the airport, all you'd need to do is ride to terminal C and wait there at the bus lane. Good luck!
I for one, would be very entertained to watch HBLR try and ask a bus driver to "stop at the nearest safe location" along the highway.
  by HBLR

cruiser939 wrote:I for one, would be very entertained to watch HBLR try and ask a bus driver to "stop at the nearest safe location" along the highway.
I've seen people exit a bus in all kinds of locations, including right next to the service road for the rail link station. There is also the stop at "route 1 and 9 at international way", not too far from the access road either. I've been thinking they need to modify the haynes ave bridge and give it full pedestrian access. Would help me personally by letting me take the 62 to go se my friends who live off next to the golf course.
  by Don31

If I'm not mistaken, construction of the airport station was funded with the use of PFCs (Passenger Facility Charge). PFCs are paid by each air passenger and are used to increase airport capacity, among other things. As a result, FAA regs hold that the station can only be used for direct connection to and from the airport.
  by HBLR

Don31 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, construction of the airport station was funded with the use of PFCs (Passenger Facility Charge). PFCs are paid by each air passenger and are used to increase airport capacity, among other things. As a result, FAA regs hold that the station can only be used for direct connection to and from the airport.
I think i heard something like that before they built it. The access road there is a bus loop only for when the monorail is not running. It's the airport rail link station, not a local station stop. Reminds me somewhat of "manhattan transfer" rail to... monorail.. connection, no local access. The way the intersection for the service/access road is laid out precludes heavy local automobile usage, though local bus routes could theoretically, legally have access, but i don't see it as practical or useful, especially when the PA 107, 37, 40, 62, 67, and go 28 stops at all 3 terminals.
  by JLo

Don31 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, construction of the airport station was funded with the use of PFCs (Passenger Facility Charge). PFCs are paid by each air passenger and are used to increase airport capacity, among other things. As a result, FAA regs hold that the station can only be used for direct connection to and from the airport.
That's correct, although I seem to recall a few years ago that there was a serious discussion about connecting the station to a proposed commercial and office development in the old freight yards. The upshot was that it was claimed that under the regs a connection could be made from the Airport Station to the new developement, but that there would be no return to the Airport Station permitted.
  by Don31

HBLR wrote: The access road there is a bus loop only for when the monorail is not running.
And also for maintenance and emergency vehicles.
  by Don31

JLo wrote:
That's correct, although I seem to recall a few years ago that there was a serious discussion about connecting the station to a proposed commercial and office development in the old freight yards. The upshot was that it was claimed that under the regs a connection could be made from the Airport Station to the new developement, but that there would be no return to the Airport Station permitted.
I have a fuzzy recollection of that as well.....