• lightning stripe E7 question (B&M)

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by bmcdr

Photos of B&M's E-7's are relatively easy to find, you just have to know where to look(I have over 400 images in my collection).
(3800-3801 built June 1945) (3802-3815 built June 1946) (3816-3819 built July 1948) (3820 built April 1949)

Let's dispel the first myth, not all of B&M's E-7's were painted in the so-called "Rock Island" scheme (railfan's coined that phrase), in fact, 3800-3801 were delivered in the familiar maroon and dulux gold that became the standard for the B&M's diesel fleet. Only 3802-3816 were delivered by EMD in the "Rock Island" paint. Nobody seems to know why they were painted this way, other than to compliment the new stainless steel coaches that were on order, but, as has already been pointed out here, all head-end equipment (baggage and RPO etc) were painted solid maroon or pullman green, maybe it was a designer's dream to have a matched consist, who knows. Then again, why white and not silver? Again, who knows.

Silver paint on the trucks first showed up in 1952 on 3806 and 3814 as Paul Joyce mentioned for Eisenhower's campaign special, but the "fleet" didn't start getting the treatment until late '53 - early '54 and not all the E-7's got the treatment. The only photographic evidence I can find of E-7's with silver trucks are the following - 3803 - 3806 - 3814 - 3818 - 3820.

3809 and 3819 also shared the political limelight in 1952, they powered Richard Nixon's campaign train (Ike got silver trucks, Dick didn't).

3814 was first posed for the camera's at Boston Engine Terminal on May 15,1957 with the "new image" blue - black - white paint scheme.

3820 was the first E-7 to leave the roster after being totally destroyed in a diasterous train wreck at Nashua,N.H. in 1954.
  by Eliphaz

jlarose wrote:Is there a good online collection of photographic examples of the various paint schemes? I had never seen this lightning stripe version until I read this thread, and it seem that photos of the E-series are hard to find for some reason. Obviously there are dozens of little variants to each scheme as things are patched, tested, modified over the years, but some basic stock or listing would be helpful (or at least some advice on how to research that). Thanks!
James Van Bokkelen has published a pretty good modellers guide here http://faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/bmrr/diesel.html
very informative, but few pics.
If Mr. Van Bokkelen posts here, my hat's off for your good work sir.
  by bmcdr

Eliphaz wrote:I just acquired a copy of The New England States Limited, summer 1978, which I somehow missed 32 years ago, and -oh look, the MEC has some of these too.
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac14 ... ck1946.jpg
Yes, MEC's first batch of E-7's looked exactly like ours, except for the corporate names and emblems. At the same time that the B&M changed over to the standard Maroon and Dulux Gold that we're all familiar with, MEC followed suit. Then sometime around the mid 1950's, MEC painted their E-7's in the Green and Dulux Gold, probably to have their own corporate identity.

Also, at this time, I would like to correct my post of Sept.29th. There is a misprint saying that 3802-3816 wore the so called "Rock Island scheme". That should read 3802-3815.
  by Tadman

Google: "maine central e7". 3-5 pics of MEC and B&M E's in RI paint come up. Some are models.
  by jbvb

Thanks, Eliphaz; the lack of pictures is mostly because I didn't start shooting 35mm until 1977 and I avoid abusing people's copyright.

Per Maine Central In Color Vol. 1 (Plant & Melvin) the joint management of the MEC and B&M ended in 1953. I know RS-11s 801-2 were delivered in 1956 in green/gold, but I have never read anything definitive about whether any of the 1953/4 GP-7s, RS-3s, S-3s S-4s or SW-9s were delivered in green/gold. Per Vol. 2 of Plant & Melvin, all the E-7s but 709/710 (both late body style like B&M 3816-20) were repainted green between 1954 and 1956.

Vol. 2 also shows 705 in maroon/gold in 1949, implying the MEC E-7s delivered in maroon/white (705-8) were repainted fairly quickly, probably in the same hurry as the B&M's.