• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by aline1969

I am headed north around 9pm or so Friday, if anyone wants a ride to the museum, let me know on PM.
  by 3rdrail

Have you checked the Sanborn Library and Boston Public Library in Copley Sq. ?
  by aline1969

We have the actual book at Seashore, I was hoping to find it on-line so I would not have to bother checking the book out of Seashore to make copies of what I'm looking for. I have not checked with them to see if they have anything, I am assuming that years ago the MBTA or MTA donated their collection of Electric Railway Journals to Seashore and thats how we have this collection, not 100% sure of that.
  by ck4049

Im headed up to STM in the AM. Looking forward to it!!
  by aline1969

ck4049 wrote:Im headed up to STM in the AM. Looking forward to it!!
Never saw you there.

Anyway, we did a little over 400 on Saturday and we did ok for a really rainy dreary day on Sunday.

Now we only have 2.5 weeks left of the year, the holiday is the best time for a gift to the museum :)

Annual Fund to help reduce deficit, Shop Electrical Improvements, Fairview Car Barn Repairs

Fairview Barn Repairs is happening now, the contractor has laid down materials around the pole bases and a frost wall will be installed on the east side and rear of the building.
  by CRail

I remember when 400 was the peak of the event, which pretty much always happens on the first Saturday. To reach that number on the second weekend is pretty good. I'd say Prelude this year was very successful! Any idea what Friday's numbers were?
  by octr202

IIRC second Friday was about 100. This Sunday was the only low day, the monsoon rains didn't help with that.
  by MBTA3247

According to Mike Peters (by way of Bill Mallory):

12/3: 170
12/4: 700
12/5: 375

12/10: 99
12/11: 408
12/12: ~125

Total: >1800 people
  by aline1969

Trolley 41 and the shop are feautured in the Seacoast paper 12-23-10

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... S-12230339
Kennebunkport museum starts restoration of historic trolley, Car 41
December 23, 2010 2:00 AMKENNEBUNKPORT — Once an operating streetcar, then a diner before it was parked under a tarp and left untouched for 48 years, the Middlesex and Boston Street Railway Company Trolley Car 41 is about to start a new chapter in its long life. Car 41 first hit the trolley tracks in Lexington, Mass., in 1901. The streetcar was rolled into the Town House Restoration Shop at the Seashore Trolley Museum on Nov. 7 for restoration and a future gig giving rides to museum-goers on special occasions. It was 1998 when museum member and tour guide Douglas Carrier began rasing funds to help restore Car 41. "It has been a long road for this particular car," said Carrier on Nov. 30. He attended high school in Lexington, and that connection sparked his interest in the trolley, he said. "My mother passed away in October and the restoration is in her memory."
  by CRail

Here's an article from TheFabricator.com about our employed welding technician. It's good to see him get that kind of recognition, he really does amazing work.

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/ar ... sire-again
  by citystation1848

There was a question in the New England Railfan forum about The Cardinal. Since things have been quiet here, I thought I'd share/cross-post these photos.

Filming for Otto Preminger's "The Cardinal" in Boston, 1963

by 3rdrail

The 396, used for the movie, is also the twin sister and identical with 393, the streetcar that was involved in the tragic Summer Street Bridge wreck of 1916. Both were 1900 St. Louis Car Co. 25-foot No. 3 box cars.
  by octr202

Those photos really show how they used the then-trackless converted overhead on Belmont Street (Belmont/Watertown line). If I'm placing it correctly, I think they used the stretch from about Benton Square to Arlington/Grove Streets?
  by citystation1848

I was able to see a blurry street sign (Commonwealth Rd) and identify the homes to be around in the photos. They're taken between Carver Road and the church at Payson Rd. In the first photo you can see two similarly shaped homes, and then the church in the background. The two homes are the ones on either side of Van Ness Road.

Bing's Bird's Eye Map

Matt
  by Tom6921

SHould I come in July, besides TTC 2890, Edmonton trolley bus 125, HSR 518203, MBTA 3424 and MBTA 0622/0623, how accessable are the cars Seashore acquired from the Trolleyville collection to the general public?