• Aquarium Station

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by theseaandalifesaver

Is there anything remaining of the old Aquarium station?
  by ThinkBoston

Has it been relocated? Nothing I've read, but still a relative novice to Boston transit history, has indicated its location has changed, only an extension. I imagine the same space has merely been updated over time, with older materials removed in the process.
  by Stmtrolleyguy

Someone once pointed out part of an old platform past the (pardon the highly-technical term here) downhill end of the platform. It wasn't even at the height of the current cars, so it must have been dormant for quite some time. I don't remember if this was before or after the station was re-done/expanded though. . .sounds like its time for someone with good eyes to go take a look.
  by Charliemta

Just guessing, but the low platform could be a leftover from when trolley cars ran in the tunnel early in the 19th century.
  by jwhite07

Just guessing, but the low platform could be a leftover from when trolley cars ran in the tunnel early in the 19th century.
Not to split hairs, but the tunnel opened in 1904, which was early in the 20th century.
  by ThinkBoston

Speaking of low platforms . . . Does anyone know the height of the Blue Line platforms above top of rail, and their height relative to the Orange Line platforms?
  by ThinkBoston

Good article. While it doesn't reveal a source for the information, this wikipedia page has the Blue Line platforms at 41.5" (only a 1/2" difference from the article), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_platform_height. And this forum entry places the Orange Line at 44.6875", http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 709#p76709. Thus, it seems there is about a 3" difference between the Blue and Orange Lines assuming that train floors and platforms are at equal heights on both. So, if the rails at Orange Line stations were raised or padded 1.5 inches, the Orange Line car floors would be only 1.5 inches above platform, and a Blue Line car would only be 1.5 inches lower than the platform.
  by 3rdrail

Here's a postcard showing early Atlantic (Aquarium) Station in surface car days. As you can see, the platforms were considerably lower by at least a couple of feet. When they changed over to r/t in 1924, they had raised the platforms around the support columns, evidence which you can see to this day if you look closely. At many of the East Boston Tunnel stations, you can see the original level after the end of the platforms where the track enters the tunnel-station portal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by theseaandalifesaver

None of this answers my question at all...
  by FP10

theseaandalifesaver wrote:None of this answers my question at all...
Soooo....
ThinkBoston wrote:I imagine the same space has merely been updated over time, with older materials removed in the process.
Stmtrolleyguy wrote:Someone once pointed out part of an old platform past the downhill end of the platform. I don't remember if this was before or after the station was re-done/expanded though.
3rdrail wrote:At many of the East Boston Tunnel stations, you can see the original level after the end of the platforms where the track enters the tunnel-station portal.
In short, its the same hole in the ground with the same underlying structure... and maybe the platform ends.
  by 3rdrail

ThinkBoston wrote:Speaking of low platforms . . . Does anyone know the height of the Blue Line platforms above top of rail, and their height relative to the Orange Line platforms?
R - 3'-5-1/2" vs 3'-8-11/16" respectively, using #3 E/B Tunnel r/t car (0500's) and #11 Main Line r/t car (01100's) blueprints for measurements from the rail head to the top of the car floor, (as these cars were consistantly level with their platforms).

Mr. Lifesaver - Somewhere around these parts, I pointed out a photograph that I am now unable to find in spite of the fact that it was on this forum and is what stmtrolleyguy is referring to. I believe that it was a photo of State (Devonshire) Station inbound at the west station/tunnel portal and not Atlantic (Aquarium), but I'm quite sure that the process would be the same as they were upgraded in the same period. In the photo, at the beginning of the tunnel, you can clearly see the original platform level by an electrical utility box. What the BTC did was pour concrete slabs, going around existing ceiling columns. In some instances these slabs were shorter than the original platforms by virtue of the fact that the originals extended beyond the portals whereas the additions did not, and that's where you can see the originals. If I remember correctly, you can see this directly by standing on the outbound platform at the west portal, looking accross and into the tunnel slightly. You also may be able to find this post and photo somewhere here in this forum.
  by ftran999

ThinkBoston wrote:Has it been relocated? Nothing I've read, but still a relative novice to Boston transit history, has indicated its location has changed, only an extension. I imagine the same space has merely been updated over time, with older materials removed in the process.
IIRC, the was a connection between the station remodeling and the big dig. I'm not sure if the station had to be moved to accommodate the new central artery. I've tried doing a Google news search but all the results are pay per view.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

As a daily rider they did not need to move the station. The worked on the newer end first then closed down the older half and worked on it for at least over a year.
  by Ron Newman

Aquarium station was not moved for the Big Dig. However, its platforms were extended to allow 6-car trains, and two new entrances were added west of the Artery.

The entire station was closed for one year during this work. Trains passed through it without stopping, and State station was temporarily renamed 'State/Aquarium''.