• Seashore Trolley Museum Discussion

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

by MBTA3247

CRail wrote:
TrainManTy wrote:Not knowing anything at all about Seashore (so I hope you'll forgive me if this is a dumb question), how are these cars expected to operate for the public at Seashore? Do you have a high-level platform for passengers to board at? Stairs? Just curious.
Yes, there is a small loading platform large enough to accompany 1 door of a Subway/Rapid Transit car (I'll try to find pictures).
This shot shows our current high-level platform.
aline1969 wrote:We hope to build that platform by Highwood barn and get the Highwood bathrooms operational again within a couple of years.
I thought the plan was to build a high-level platform on the straight part of the loop behind Arundel; at least, that's what the planning diagram on the cover of the July/August Dispatch shows.
  by aline1969

That may still be the case, the plan could be to offer three modes of shuttle service to Highwood, trolley, trackless trolley and subway.
  by ck4049

The trackless trolley part will be happening soon, as the wire is going to be installed in the Spring! The bus shuttle service, I presume, will continue this summer as well :)
  by CRail

MBTA3247 wrote:I thought the plan was to build a high-level platform on the straight part of the loop behind Arundel; at least, that's what the planning diagram on the cover of the July/August Dispatch shows.
The proposed platform you speak of is for loading streetcars only. It would not be able to serve more than one door of a Rapid Transit car, and if Rapid Transit is going to become part of regular service, opening doors into mid air cannot be allowed. Currently, all subway operations are overseen by the Curator of Rapid Transit vehicles and/or his delegates, so this isn't as much of a concern because of the amount of special attention during such operations.

In order to operate the intermodal shuttle that Doug explained, a full high (prefereably 2 cars in length) platform is needed in the Well and in the Highwood yard. A pipe dream I've had for a while is to build a center platform between the Talbott Park loop track and the Biddeford Lead. High on the Biddeford Lead side, and low on the loop side to allow for transfer between streetcars and rapid transit. This way when the line is extended to the North Terminal, you can ride streetcars to Talbott Park, and then transfer to Rapid Transit/Interurban cars for the longer haul to Biddeford. Any and/or all of these things may and probably will happen eventually (and I use the term loosely).

BTW, nice shot Derek!
  by aline1969

Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at the Seashore Trolley Museum!!!

Hope to see you at Christmas Prelude!!

Remeber members... just because its winter time does not mean you cant visit the museum, we are still open to members and work is always going on in the shop.
  by ck4049

Ill be up there on the 12th! I will be working hard :)
  by Tom6921

I read that Seashore is planning on selling 11 ex Boston PCCs including six ex Dallas double ended PCCs. However, 608 and 3340 are not among them.

Also, next year I am planning on visiting Seashore again; mainly to see the equipment acquired since my last visit. Hopefully I'll be able to ride a PCC this time!

Which days would be best to come to see (and ride) trolleybuses in operation? I'm thinking of visiting during the summer again, but my plans can change.
  by ck4049

I think the best way to find out is by contacting the Bus Department Curator(my boss) and ask him when trackless trolley ops. are going to begin! :D
  by aline1969

Tom6921 wrote:I read that Seashore is planning on selling 11 ex Boston PCCs including six ex Dallas double ended PCCs. However, 608 and 3340 are not among them.

Also, next year I am planning on visiting Seashore again; mainly to see the equipment acquired since my last visit. Hopefully I'll be able to ride a PCC this time!

Which days would be best to come to see (and ride) trolleybuses in operation? I'm thinking of visiting during the summer again, but my plans can change.
The Philly PCC 2709, has been running often and hopefully will be running in 2011.

Washington PCC 1304 has been getting lots of attention in the shop, they are moving towards fixing the mg set and other items to make it run.

I have not heard anything about selling PCC cars, I know the Dallas cars are for sale, we would only keep 3340 & 608 for the collection.

Two weeks in May, the Swiss crew comes to the museum and that trully is the best time to ride the trackless/trolley buses. Other times would be members day, transit day.... upon special request ahead of time, something could be made possible if the staff who knows how to operate them are around.
  by CRail

Tom: I'm glad to learn of your interest in Seashore, are you a member? I recommend weekends as the time to show up. This is when a lot of the non-routine stuff goes on, even if there isn't an event. It's also when a lot of folks are around who can make stuff happen that may not have been scheduled (a trip with subway cars, for example). We never have a problem putting our work aside to show around an interested guest!

The PCCs that Seashore is looking to sell were acquired by the Museum as extra equipment to serve various purposes whether it be for storage, part sources, or for sale. The cars you listed (that you did not see for sale) are part of the collection and are certainly not leaving Seashore. If you were concerned that parts of the collection were being sold off, rest assured, that is not the case.

When was your last visit? We have gotten quite a bit, it sometimes seems like the floodgates are stuck in the open position. That's another treat that goes along with being involved up there is that there's always something new. As for PCCs in service, Philadelphia's 2709 is unfortunately all we've got at the present. There has been some talk amongst parties up there about 3127s revival. A lot was done this past summer to see what it needed, and as it turns out it needs quite a bit, although it's definitely not beyond repair, I can go more into that in a PM if you're interested. Also, as Doug mentioned, a lot has been going on with 1304, and the progress made on that car this year has been impressive. Originally, the intent was to restore the car as a static display with the idea of making it runnable more of a pipe dream, but a thought none-the-less. Thanks to some of the incredible skill we've got with us, the chances of the car running seem to be increasing quite rapidly. When you visit, see if you can find someone who can give you a look at the progress there, it is a gorgeous car.

Regarding the Trackless Trolleys, work is continuing in the bus yard part of which will become the second trackless loop. They generally do not operate outside of special events currently (except when the Swiss group is around, as Doug mentioned), however this is expected to change within the next couple to few years. More wire is likely to be put up this spring, although I'm not sure to what extent the project will be completed.
  by ck4049

The Swiss Crew was around for Transit Day LAST year, and a little in 2007, and alot of the T.T.s were made operable and pulled out of storage. The loops will be installed in May(as already mentioned above) and tracklesses will be run more often! If anyone has any questions about this, feel free to ask me or anyone else involved in the Bus Department!
  by CRail

I should have said, "We don't know to what extent the project will be done." The new trackless infrastructure is not expected to be in operation next year. It is important that information made public be accurate, and that those providing such information are actually involved with what is being reported. This prevents misrepresentation.
  by aline1969

I agree with CR Rail, ck4049 please dont post if you are not active or know enough about whats going on at the museum. Thank you.

The Swiss crew was here in May, not transit day. They told me in May they look to return next May. (May 2011)

We hope that the swiss crew will bring a trolley bus with them full of overhead goodies needed for this extension. I have also started a roadway paving fund so that smooth safe operation can take place and dirt wont get into the motors. This fund needs help :) Fund# 911 R (Trolley Bus Roadway Fund)
  by Tom6921

My last visit to Seashore was on July 5, 2008. The main interest in the trackless trolley collection is former Edmonton BBC #125. I'd also like to see former Hamiltion GM Articulated bus #518203 which I had ridden on a few occasions when it was in revenue service!

Of course, I'd also like to see the Boeing LRV, 0622/0623, and Toronto D700 #7521 and witt 2890.