• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by fishin360

DOc69 It only took them about 2 weeks to call me in for a interview. They call 12 people for the interview but only 9 show up. After that, a week later they call me with to see if I still wanted the job. A day before I had a interview with Norfolk Southern. I had to take a physical, do a background check and a strength test. Hr was quick to get everything scheduled within few days I had my appointment dates. Hr said I will be hearing from them around Dec 15. If I pass everything, Hr said I be going to redi sometime in mid january.
  by d0c69

Fishin360 thanks a lot for the info and good luck to ya
  by blitzz2

Took the strength test today, not to bad...setting up physical, found out 43 interviewed for jobs in N.baltimore 4 selected, got lucky I suppose, so hopefully redi will be next if all pans out...
  by dirtydave

I got the call today to start all my pre employment hoopla. She said I am supposed to go to REDI on Nov. 29, I will believe it when I see it. Its for track worker, anybody else up for that?
  by tkeiy609

after reading all post i will give my input.
1st....your food allowance will be on your check and dont be surprised if you dont get your 1st check 3 or 4 weeks into your training so spend your money wisely till then
2nd....dont recommend bringing DVD players or PS3's..ect....you will discover quick this school is not as easy as you think and games and DVD players will distract you
3rd.....DO NOT WEAR SLIP ON BOOTS...seen them send someone home because of slip on boots....make sure they are lace up boots and steel toes ARE NOT required
4th.....Bring a back pack...aka "GRIP"
5th.....Quickly make friends and go in with these people and go grocery shopping.....yall can share detergent, dish washing soap, plates, ect....also what i did was went in with 2 other people and i would cook one day for lunch, the next day someone else would...you get the picture....be amazed how much money this will save. Also the hotel usually supplies pots and pans. The food in the cafe at the REDI...SUCKS!!!! and is expensive...recommend bringing your own lunch. Be good idea to bring food storage containers from home to use to take lunch to class.
6th.....Make sure you pack rain gear, long johns (for cold weather), take extra socks to class incase you go outside and your boots are not water proof, good comfortable gloves and wear hammer loop less pants
7th....The following school supplies....highlighter, plenty of pens, note cards, notebook

The REDI center is almost like boot camp along the lines of the instuctors dont care if you pass or fail and also are very strict on rules. Use ALL handrails, never walk with your hands in your pockets or talk on cell phone while walking, always push in your chair, do not wistle at females, always wear your yellow hat they give you.
I also recommend bringing rolaids (if you eat in the redi cafe), medicine for aches and pains, and also any prescription drugs in your name if needed (people were affraid to bring them and needed them and failed because they could not perform physical activities)
After you get to the REDI it is important get no more than 3 or 4 people and have study groups while in hotel at night or during the day. Anymore than 3 or 4 it gets to be more of a social gathering. It is also important to try and get the signal test out of the way ASAP...go to this web site and study NOW!!!!! http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Signa ... s_scl.html the amount of stress that will be taken off you the sooner you get this done is great.
As far as partying....i highly recommend not doing it during class week....weekend i say party like hell and have fun...got my best memory from a night out with the guys in the ATL during my stint at the REDI, but do not bring any kind of alcohol to the hotel...instructors have been known to search rooms and they will fire you on the spot which bring up another point...DO NOT MISS THE BUS...if you drive your car to the REDI they will fire you.
I have also been reading alot of post about not getting an offical call yet....this is not uncommon...did not get my offical call till 3 days before i was to report to the REDI....if you know your REDI center report date do not turn in a notice to your current employer until you get the offical report packets in the mail. This time of year they have been know to cancel REDI center classes even though they told you a date.
To all smokers...if you are staying at the Homestead Studio off Powers Ferry road...the Walgreens Pharmacy near the hotel has the best prices on cigs and also the Dixie Tavern is a great weekend excursion to go on.

I sure hope all this information is very helpful
  by tkeiy609

when i was there during Thanksgiving they let us have Thursday off, but we had class on Friday and Saturday afterwards....They were nice enough to give us a Cracker Barrel gift card to use.
  by dirtydave

Start mon. Nov. 29 for track worker down at the REDI. Anybody else gonna be there?
  by matawanaberdeen

dirtydave wrote:Start mon. Nov. 29 for track worker down at the REDI. Anybody else gonna be there?
Good luck and congratulations.
  by greendaddy3

I'm still waiting for a start date to. I'm going for conductor but have no idea when I will be going. All my test have been completed since Nov. 20, so hopefully i'll get to go sometime after New Years. I hate just sitting around wondering when i'll have to pick up and leave, because from what i've read they dont give you much of a notice. 6 weeks is a long time, and it would be nice to have some sort of set date in mind.
  by dirtydave

I got a call on weds. to start on the next monday. I was in a hiring pool, from the time I took physical strength test and background check until I started was a week and a day. It is worth it. If you are going for conductor I would recomend you contact a conductor that works where you are hiring out and ask about work load and see how the boards are rolling. It would suck to get laid off after 6 weeks of boot camp, and 16 weeks of ojt.
  by StanTheMan

I just got a call this morning saying I will be going the 17th of Jan. Look forward to meeting you all. By the way I'll be working out of Columbus, Oh.
  by greendaddy3

dirtydave wrote:I got a call on weds. to start on the next monday. I was in a hiring pool, from the time I took physical strength test and background check until I started was a week and a day. It is worth it. If you are going for conductor I would recomend you contact a conductor that works where you are hiring out and ask about work load and see how the boards are rolling. It would suck to get laid off after 6 weeks of boot camp, and 16 weeks of ojt.
Thats what i'm afriad of dirtydave. But I really need this job so hopefully they will call me soon. Congrats to you guys that have already got the call.
  by Flyboi@1980

IS there anybody here from the Montgomery Al area that will be reporting to the Redi Center this month for Freight Conductor.
  by Xamatox

Hi, I've read a lot about redi on these forums and the information has been very helpful. But my question is does anybody know how many people they put in a room?
  by StanTheMan

Looking at the website the rooms look like a 1 person room.