• Manufacturing

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by MR77100

I am interested in a career in locomotive or freight car manufacturing. Does anyone know what they are looking for in terms of education and experience? I have a Bio degree and have three years of chemical and coatings experience under my belt in a Quality Control lab.
  by Cowford

"I am interested in a career in locomotive or freight car manufacturing..."

The first question is: Why? Not to say it's not a bad idea, but have you thought of WHAT you'd want to do for a manufacturer? Their requirements for what they'd be looking for education/experience-wise depends on the job. Figure out: 1) what you want to do, 2) where you want to do it, and 3) who you want to do it for.
  by matawanaberdeen

MR77100 wrote:I am interested in a career in locomotive or freight car manufacturing. Does anyone know what they are looking for in terms of education and experience? I have a Bio degree and have three years of chemical and coatings experience under my belt in a Quality Control lab.
Why not become a Carman? Its close to manufacturing but work directly for a RR and the pay is good.
  by hath80

Oh, I see now. I always think that a carman and that car manufacturing are the same thing. There is difference.