• em 1

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

by irishtruckmen

any info please as to the were bouts of a em1 that was lost in transit ?
thanks john
  by jgallaway81

Would you mind giving a bit more information... what is an EM1?
  by scottychaos

Since the truckmen are making us guess what they are talking about,
I will take a stab at it..

the most famous EM-1 class are the big B&O articulateds..
(although other railroads could have also had an EM1 class..of a different wheel arrangement)

http://www.divisionpoint.com/photos/B+O ... O_657b.jpg

Assuming that is what they are talking about, now we have to figure out if one was ever lost in transit somewhere! ;)
come on truckmen..you guys have to give us more to go on..

Scot
  by rdgrailfan

do not remember all the details but Seem to remember that the last EM-1 was stored at a location under the protection of a high level employee. Story was that he had hidden it on paper from the scrappers and went on vacation,management sent it to scrap as soon as he was away. missing a lot of details but it was sometime in the early 60's.
  by irishtruckmen

yea sorry i jus realized i was vague inn my thread there were 3# em1 articulated steam locomotives destined for museums in mount claire,dearborn and 3rd unknown all that ive found so far is that b&o 7629 destined for mount claire was simply lost in transit
  by Juniatha

irishtruckmen wrote:... all that ive found so far is that b&o 7629 destined for mount claire was simply lost in transit

:-D Gee - I like that
(the idea of a big Emmalley-One just disappearing in transit, not the ideo of the loco scrapped)
Next time, I step down from a public transport suddenly realizing that inexplicably somewhere on my way I have happened to donate my presently faithful umbrella to anyone unknown, I'll find comfort by reminding myself of a railroad incredibly having misplaced and all forgotten about things ever-so-much vastly bigger than an umbrella ...

Reflection:
Could it be that one Emmalley got the message of transcendental transition from Jim Morrison when he sang "Break on through to the other side" - although that song only appeared some years later, if yet again that's just the way it looked from this side (?)

= J =
  by jgallaway81

Its no worse than NS & CSX losing whole trains during the Conrail breakup.
  by Juniatha

jgallaway81 wrote:Its no worse than NS & CSX losing whole trains during the Conrail breakup.
Ah-ok - I see ..
Yeah, but wait - erh - with or without train crew?
Hopefully they had ceased passenger train service before or could it be that this is an explanation to mystery of forlorn souls allegedly having been seen haunting the building of Buffalo station ...?

= J =
  by 3rdrail

And the magical feat of all time - the Penn Central losing three major railroads all in the stroke of a pen !
  by jgallaway81

3rdrail wrote:And the magical feat of all time - the Penn Central losing three major railroads all in the stroke of a pen !
At least they still knew where those roads where.

Ask someone... no, ask several someones who worked through 6/1/99, and you will get as many horror stories.

Even though I didn't have my Class 1 spurs yet, I still have one myself from working on the A&A which was serviced by Conrail until that fateful day.
  by Allen Hazen

Ann Arbor? I know they got mucked about at the BEGINNING of Conrail (at one stage it was planned that CR should take over AA, and at least one orange GP-35 was seen on Penn Central track in New York State): did they suffer at the END as well?
  by jgallaway81

Allen, A&A, not AA. Reporting Mark ARA, or Arcade & Attica
  by Allen Hazen

Sorry, my mistake: didn't notice the Ampersand. (I ***should*** be aware of the things: I had a logic professor in college who spent a couple of lecture minutes explaining how to write ampersands correctly, showing ten stages in the process on the blackboard!)
  by jgallaway81

Ya, that sounds like a professor all right. :-D