• Which lines use which yards?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

"strench707"
Why wouldn't they just put a derail on those tracks instead of ripping up the rail?

Your guess is as good as mine.

WMATA hasn't revived any shipments by rail in any significant quantities sense the 1970s. I think the last shipment by rail, of any note, is some of the inventory of new rail they have there.
  by strench707

Half the things Metro does, doesn't really have a good reason,

Davis
  by Robert Paniagua

Also remember, FRA regulations prohibit a railroad track direct solid connection to a subway rapid transit/light rail track, so that's why there's no physycal continuous connection between Metro and CSX track
  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
Also remember, FRA regulations prohibit a railroad track direct solid connection to a subway rapid transit/light rail track, so that's why there's no physycal continuous connection between Metro and CSX track

I don't think that's true. The Baltimore Metro's one and only connection to the common carrier railroad network is protected by a derail.
  by polybalt

"Robert Paniagua"

I don't think that's true. The Baltimore Metro's one and only connection to the common carrier railroad network is protected by a derail.
"Robert Paniagua"

At one time FRA did have an issue with a direct connection between a railroad and a transit line, but not any more.

My best guess (and its only a guess) is that WMATA removed the rails so they avoid paying a yearly maintenance fee to CSX. Most railroads charge yearly for private sidings unless a minimum number of revenue carloads are shipped in or out. A connection to WMATA would be considered a private siding by CSX. I suspect WMATA said we don't want your blankety-blank siding any more and won't pay for it-- see we took the rails out on our side.

A second possibility is that someone involved in safety on either side of the derail determined that a signal interlock was required to ensure that the derail was set to derail an errant car. If so it would need periodic testing, etc, and that was too much of a pain in the neck.

A real long shot is that there was a possibility of a return current problem, with stray current returning via CSX rails to the substations nearby rather than WMATA tracks . But I am sure there would be insulated joints on both rails at the connection, and WMATA may earth ground substation return in yard areas to prevent employees getting a tingle every once and awhile. On the mainline, the rails could be up to 40v above local earth ground, while CSX rails will be very close to earth ground. Insulated joints don't normally see that kind of voltage difference from one side to the other
  by strench707

All seem viable theories polybalt.

Also, doesn't Baltimore's light rail have a connection or two to freight lines?

Maybe it was a temporary issue with the FRA that flared up and then went away,

Davis
  by Sand Box John

"polybalt"
At one time FRA did have an issue with a direct connection between a railroad and a transit line, but not any more.

My best guess (and its only a guess) is that WMATA removed the rails so they avoid paying a yearly maintenance fee to CSX. Most railroads charge yearly for private sidings unless a minimum number of revenue carloads are shipped in or out. A connection to WMATA would be considered a private siding by CSX. I suspect WMATA said we don't want your blankety-blank siding any more and won't pay for it-- see we took the rails out on our side.

This is the most likely reason.

A second possibility is that someone involved in safety on either side of the derail determined that a signal interlock was required to ensure that the derail was set to derail an errant car. If so it would need periodic testing, etc, and that was too much of a pain in the neck.

None of WMATA connections to the common carrier network had their derails interlock to a signal. The derails were protected with pad locked ground throws. The turnouts had powered point motors that were controlled from the yard tower, or in the case of the Alexandria connection, the local train control room (C98) or central control. The pad locked ground throw still exists at the now unusable Alexandria connection. The rails disappear into the berm outside of the left side of the picture.

A real long shot is that there was a possibility of a return current problem, with stray current returning via CSX rails to the substations nearby rather than WMATA tracks . But I am sure there would be insulated joints on both rails at the connection, and WMATA may earth ground substation return in yard areas to prevent employees getting a tingle every once and awhile. On the mainline, the rails could be up to 40v above local earth ground, while CSX rails will be very close to earth ground. Insulated joints don't normally see that kind of voltage difference from one side to the other

All of the turnouts are insulated, both the turnout on WMATA property and the turnout on the common carriers property.

"strench707"
Also, doesn't Baltimore's light rail have a connection or two to freight lines?

In the case of the Baltimore Central Light Rail there is an FRA waver as freight was moved to various industries along the line when Light Rail line was closed at night. Freight service to industries on both ends of the line in Baltimore County was abandoned several years ago. The the Propane terminal and yard north of the Light Rail shop and yard in Baltimore City I think is still active.
  by WMATA Black-Black

Just to point out a quick observation... At Greenbelt there is still a connection to CSX, it can be viewed riding a Camden MARC train past Greenbelt just before the grade crossing with Sunnyside Ave. And also in this Google Map aerial shot as of late Aug 2010

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 06845&z=18
  by SchuminWeb

Looking at the Bing birds-eye view, it would appear to be via a non-electrified side track, but I can't tell you when the Bing image was made.
  by strench707

Yeah its not electrified.

Davis
  by Sand Box John

CSX and WMATA must have recently reestablished the connection at Greenbelt. Last time I was out there the rail under the gate was removed.

The turnout on the CSX mainline has insulated joints in it, both of the turnouts in the crossover between unelectrified track and electrified track have insulated joints in them.
  by strench707

Was the turnout reinstalled so they could deliver the streetcars into the Greenbelt yard?

Davis
  by Sand Box John

"strench707"
Was the turnout reinstalled so they could deliver the streetcars into the Greenbelt yard?

No. The streetcars were trucked down from The Port of Baltimore.
See: DC Streetcars Arrive at The Port of Baltimore

They were also trucked to the site of the old convention center so the public could see them,
See: DC Streetcars On Display 05 08 2010

Likely the connection was reestablished so WMATA could take delivery of welded rail.
  by strench707

Ah okay my bad, I forgot about that delivery.

Thanks for clarifying!

Davis