• Entrance 12th and G Streets

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by strench707

Hello all,

I frequently get out at the Metro exit/entrance at 12th and G in DC. This is one of the entrances that serves the Metro Center station. Every time I go there, save for maybe one time, one or two escalators are out of service. This entrance has also not been outfitted with one of the glass shelters.

This is one of Metro's busiest stations and its crazy to me how a main artery into it isn't protected. If there was a shelter over it then the escalators wouldn't get directly rained on as much and passengers would be more protected. I would have to assume that the breakdowns can partly be attributed to their direct exposure to the elements.

At this location a canopy/shelter wouldn't stick out or be an eyesore at all, its just a normal city entrance. Does anyone have any insight on whether Metro plans on addressing this entrance anytime soon? It would be less odd if it was a stop of lesser importance but at Metro Center when you have an escalator out in the heart of downtown there is bound to be backups.

Davis
  by SchuminWeb

If I'm not mistaken, this is the entrance with the elevator next to it, no?

I looked it up on Google Maps, and on the whole, one would think that it would be a no-brainer to cover this escalator. Who knows why they didn't. Dupont Circle north I can understand, since that's a giant opening with a different shape than most. This one just surprises me.
  by strench707

I'm not sure about the elevator but the Street View link is of the correct entrance. Your are correct in this being a no brainer. It is a relatively small entrance in regards to the size of the opening and is for one of the most important stops. Did they run out of money on this project?

Davis