• East End Service: Greenport Scoot, Montauk Line, Etc.

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by mirrodie

ElliotCourtney wrote:I know quite well of that West Babylon RR. It is in my neighborhood and I have helped work on it. Sadly it has fallen into disrepair and the gentleman who owned the property and RR lost interest and moved on. Its on Rutland Road but don't expect to see it-there is a tall wooden fence around it. Also I don't believe any equipment was made except a flatcar.
Elliot
Elliot, then perhaps you meant something different? Unless you speak of one on that road as well. THe one I recall was on the property right next to the HSCB Bank on Little East Neck Rd, very close to Rutland.

When was the last tim you worked on the one you are mentioning? Any photos? Im intrigued.
  by ElliotCourtney

There is only one that I know of and that is on Rutland. I live in the area and always have my eyes peeled for things like this. It muct have been at least 5 years ago since I worked on it. The property has fallen into a bit of disrepair with the grass very tall etc.... There was a O gauge club which was on 109 which has since moved but that is all in the area that I know of. That is the Babylon Trainmasters- http://www.tmbmodeltrainclub.com/
Unless of corse you mean my layout :wink:
  by keyboardkat

A museum in the freight house and another in the passenger station. That's real sad. I think the freight house has also been used as a bus garage, if I'm not mistaken. I'd much rather that the freight house were actually used for freight (!) as intended, and the passenger station would be an actual passenger station. Yeah, I know. But I don't have to like it.

I also wish the the railroad would go back to being a real railroad, rather than the transit machine it has become.
  by mirrodie

ElliotCourtney wrote:There is only one that I know of and that is on Rutland. I live in the area and always have my eyes peeled for things like this. It muct have been at least 5 years ago since I worked on it. The property has fallen into a bit of disrepair with the grass very tall etc.... There was a O gauge club which was on 109 which has since moved but that is all in the area that I know of. That is the Babylon Trainmasters- http://www.tmbmodeltrainclub.com/
Unless of corse you mean my layout :wink:
Wow, so I just learned something new.

I lived on Little E Neck for 20 years, never knew of that one on Rutland. Only the one on the property adjacent to HSBC, almost across the street from Berkshire Nursing home. You dont recall seeing that one? I was sandwiched between Little E Neck and Rte 109. The train was covered by a tarp all through the 80s and early 90s.

By the way, just back from Greenport. Its open through next weekend. What lovely weather it was!
  by ElliotCourtney

Hmmm ive never seen or heard of that one so I too learned something new!
  by peconicstation

From the Suffolk Times website.
First weekend with no LIRR service
MTA cuts mean no weekend trains until Memorial Day
BY MICHAEL WHITE | STAFF WRITER
This Saturday marks the first weekend until Memorial Day that the MTA will not be running LIRR trains between Ronkonkoma and Greenport. The service cuts, along with other measures, come as part of the MTA's efforts to close a looming $900 million budget gap. The reductions, in total, will save approximately $950,000 this year and $3.8 million annually starting in 2011, MTA officials said. The cuts have affected train and subway schedules across the 12 counties, including five in New York City, served by the agency.
  by njtmnrrbuff

It's sad to see year round weekend service eliminated betweek KO and Greenport. I have to say that the track speed was very slow for commuter rail standards in many places. Tracks aren't in the best condition. The ridership, as a result, was very poor, in general.
The HJ provides a much better service though.
  by lilbluefoxie

Its a shame they arent able to get service out there done properly. The fact Hampton Jitney even exsists is proof enough theres a market for better east end service, people would use it if they wernet afraid of being stranded thanks to the 1 train each way that is of any use to 9 to 5ers, if one misses that 5:41 out of penn they have no way home if they live out east. Also weekend service could be improved upon.
  by R36 Combine Coach

How many daily commuters use the Jitney? As mentioned before in other threads, daily commuters east of Ronkonkoma and along the North Fork are rare.
  by lilbluefoxie

R36 Combine Coach wrote:How many daily commuters use the Jitney? As mentioned before in other threads, daily commuters east of Ronkonkoma and along the North Fork are rare.
what about stations like Medford, Yaphank, and Riverhead, thats not totally far out there as far as commuter service. They are still west of Speonk which gets more service
  by SwingMan

lilbluefoxie wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:How many daily commuters use the Jitney? As mentioned before in other threads, daily commuters east of Ronkonkoma and along the North Fork are rare.
what about stations like Medford, Yaphank, and Riverhead, thats not totally far out there as far as commuter service. They are still west of Speonk which gets more service

Unlike Speonk/Montauk Branch, Ronkonkoma has enough parking for most people who live in the Riverhead-Yahpank-Medford areas.
  by lilbluefoxie

still, Yaphank is zone 12 and Riverhead is zone 14, they would make more money if they had better service there since the people who would drive and pay for zone 10 might then decide well its a lil bit more but i dont have to drive so far to get to the station.
  by Trainmaster5

lirr415 wrote:
lilbluefoxie wrote:

Unlike Speonk/Montauk Branch, Ronkonkoma has enough parking for most people who live in the Riverhead-Yahpank-Medford areas.
Just one question. If those stations had regular(mainline) service ,ala Ronkonkoma, would people still drive to Ronkon ? In other words, does the difference in fares make up for the automobile wear and tear and the hassle of the trip to Ronkonkoma ?
  by peconicstation

Some people would continue to use KO since it has 24/7 service, BUT if Medford and Yaphank had the levels of service that they should, their daily boardings would be in the
hundreds, not dozens.

As for daily commuters from points on the North Fork, there are more than many "in-islanders" would think. First a good number are "regular" commuters, as opposed to "daily", in the 21st century more people have negotiated deals with their employers to work from home so many days per week.

Ad an example on weekdays, the HJ has 3 busses on the North Fork line that get into Manhattan before 10:00 a.m. For the people that I know, they have negotiated to have the cost of the HJ 12 trip Value Pack as part of their compensation plan.

Frankly as a year round North Fork resident, my use of the LIRR has dropped to almost nill, since the HJ took over out bus service (from Sunrise Coach Lines), as the HJ service is frequent, and superior to LIRR service in every way.

This past weekend was a typical beautiful busy fall season around here, the 2nd homeowners came and went, and live went on without LIRR service.

Ken