• Halting of NJT Projects (Including Tunnel Project)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ccutler

thanks I really enjoyed the Courier's op ed piece. and you can be sure, the longer the escalator...the more often it will be broken.
  by DutchRailnut

ajt wrote:Switzerland is hardly the tax haven some make it out to be.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/P148855.asp

but ther taken care off Birth to grave, here in USA its day to day.
  by alewifebp

Switzerland has about 2-3% of the population of the US and less than 1% of our total square area, so I'm not sure how effective comparing two very different countries are in determining what should/should not be done in the US. Has anyone done a geological comparison between the Swiss tunnel and ARC?
  by Patrick Boylan

I don't know about geological comparisons, but:

The Swiss tunnel is in the Swiss Alps. I can't imagine that there's as much subterranean infrastructure to negotiate through those mountains as there is on both sides of, and maybe even under, the Hudson River.

Speaking of the Hudson River, does the Swiss tunnel go under any bodies of water? I'd expect a length of subterranean tunnel to be cheaper than a submarine tunnel.

Does the Swiss tunnel have any stations? I think the THE ARC tunnel price includes the Macy's basement station. Although not as big as Penn Station, and not even as big as one of the alternative proposals which I think had 8 tracks at an expanded Penn Station, I'd still expect Macy's basement to cost a few hundred megabucks.
  by nyswfan

The tunnel project will get started again. Christie only halted it because he wanted to put the political payouts in his own people's pockets. C'mon were talking about over $10B here. A lot of politicos are going to get filty rich over this project that will never get completed.
HalMallon wrote:Pls send to Chris Christie:

Swiss complete world's longest rail tunnel

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/10 ... tml?hpt=T2
Code: Select all
(CNN) -- The longest railway tunnel in the world was completed on Friday in Switzerland when the last two meters of rock were drilled through.

After 14 years of construction the 57 km (34 miles) of the Gotthard Base Tunnel in the Swiss Alps was finally completed when a giant drilling machine nicknamed Sissi cut through the last slice of rock to connect both ends.

After the final breakthrough, 50 miners carrying flags reprsenting the regions of Switzerland involved in the construction walked through the opening, Rahel Probst of AlpTransit Gotthard, told CNN.
  by JLo

The tunnel project will get started again. Christie only halted it because he wanted to put the political payouts in his own people's pockets. C'mon were talking about over $10B here. A lot of politicos are going to get filty rich over this project that will never get completed.
Link? Affidavit? Tarot Card Reading?
  by nyswfan

Do you really need a link to tell you how government REALLY works? Do you REALLY believe secause transfer incurred $500 million in construction costs and not a cent of it went to political payoffs? A lot of people got rich of that station. Christie is a crook just like the rest of them. He has to grease the right wheels on his side of the party boat. Thats what all this nonsense is about. 10 years from now, NJ property taxes will be 2x's what they are now and there still won't be a tunnel.
JLo wrote:
  by JLo

nyswfan wrote:Do you really need a link to tell you how government REALLY works? Do you REALLY believe secause transfer incurred $500 million in construction costs and not a cent of it went to political payoffs? A lot of people got rich of that station. Christie is a crook just like the rest of them. He has to grease the right wheels on his side of the party boat. Thats what all this nonsense is about. 10 years from now, NJ property taxes will be 2x's what they are now and there still won't be a tunnel.
JLo wrote:
"Grease the right wheels on his side of the party boat?"
  by nyswfan

I see you take the slow train... (pun intended)

In the United States, you have two main political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans. John Corzine is a democrat. When the Corzine administration went forward with the tunnel project, with its $10B price tag, Corzine buddies (democrats) were inline to get the contracts and payouts. With $600 million already spent on the tunnel(with relatively little to no work done), Chris Christie gives it the halt. Later on down the road he will start the project up again, and the project will start paying out to more republican friendly firms. The cycle will repeat everytime a new party is in office. This is why large scale projects cost so much that they either 1) never get completed or 2) operate as a losing investment. Does that help? Its the LARGEST public works project in the country with a $10B cash grab. Everyone wants the $$.

Did you every wonder why people donate large sums to campaign funds? Its an investment. If you give me $10M, ill get you $100M worth of payouts if im elected. Thats why the Christie administration went after the NJEA and the teacher's right after getting elected. That's American politics.....

JLo wrote:
nyswfan wrote:Do you really need a link to tell you how government REALLY works? Do you REALLY believe secause transfer incurred $500 million in construction costs and not a cent of it went to political payoffs? A lot of people got rich of that station. Christie is a crook just like the rest of them. He has to grease the right wheels on his side of the party boat. Thats what all this nonsense is about. 10 years from now, NJ property taxes will be 2x's what they are now and there still won't be a tunnel.

by JLo

Did you every wonder why people donate large sums to campaign funds? Its an investment. If you give me $10M, ill get you $100M worth of payouts if im elected. Thats why the Christie administration went after the NJEA and the teacher's right after getting elected. That's American politics.....
Thanks for Politics 101. Can we talk about the tunnel now?
  by blockline4180

nyswfan wrote:I see you take the slow train... (pun intended)

In the United States, you have two main political parties, the Democrats and the Republicans. John Corzine is a democrat. When the Corzine administration went forward with the tunnel project, with its $10B price tag, Corzine buddies (democrats) were inline to get the contracts and payouts. With $600 million already spent on the tunnel(with relatively little to no work done), Chris Christie gives it the halt. Later on down the road he will start the project up again, and the project will start paying out to more republican friendly firms. The cycle will repeat everytime a new party is in office. This is why large scale projects cost so much that they either 1) never get completed or 2) operate as a losing investment. Does that help? Its the LARGEST public works project in the country with a $10B cash grab. Everyone wants the $$.

JLo wrote:

He's got a point....
  by Don31

JLo wrote:
Thanks for Politics 101. Can we talk about the tunnel now?

He's got a point as well.....