• Remote Control Trains

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by chnhrr

One learns something new everyday. I came across this photographs dated December 1955. The title of the photo is ‘Railroad officials demonstrating remote control for trains’. This obviously never went beyond the experimental stage. Some future railroads and most monorails would use this concept later. Does anyone know about this little known NH history?
(Photo courtesy Corbis)
  by Noel Weaver

This was a gimmick by McGinns back when. I think the one car ran eastbound between New Rochelle and maybe Harrison
or Rye. I have some material on it here somewhere, when I find it, I will post more about this one. Needless to say it did
not go anywhere anymore than much of the other schemes that this guy tried to do.
Noel Weaver
  by Tommy Meehan

There was also an extensive writeup about this MU in the NHRHTA Shoreliner some years back.
  by Jeff Smith

I can't make out the car number, but it looks like a 4400 series car.
  by fm

Hardly a "gimmick". The NHRR's radio-controlled MU car was a test conducted for practical reasons. The McGinnis administration was investigating double-ended high speed passenger trains at that time. It was thought that the engineer in the front locomotive on a double ended high-speed passenger train might control the locomotive at the end of the train through radio control, either as a primary control mechanism or as a backup in case the air and/or electrical lines that ran through the train failed. There was also some interest in allowing trackside signals to govern some aspects of high-speed passenger train operation using radio control. For example, a stop signal would send a radio command to the train to stop. McGinnis also made some statements at the time to the effect that trains operated fundimentally like elevators in the sense that they go back and forth along a set of rails that both guide and restrict their movement along a defined pathway. In the same way that elevators had once had live operators, and these operators had been abolished through automation, McGinnis reasoned that at some point in the future train engineers might be replaced through some means of automated operation such as radio control.
  by chnhrr

As a follow up, Patrick McGinnis is pushing the go and stop button on the control unit. Owen Mandeville, Town Supervisor for Mamaroneck is standing to his left. I presume the concept did not sit well with some union members and many passengers would have been nervous at the thought of such a system being implemented.
  by Noel Weaver

Nothing that McGinnis did set well with the NHRR railroaders during the period. In my opinion, he was the start of the final chapter of the New Haven's downfall and he hastened its demise although in reality, it probably was going to happen even if he had not come in to the picture because the industry which made the freight business what is was eventually left New England.
McGinnis went to prision for a period for one particular crime on the Boston and Maine but he probably should have gone to jail for much more than he actually did and probably should have rotted there too. The stockholders were big losers as a result of his antics but I have no sorrow for them, after all, they elected him in the first place.
Noel Weaver