• Fall Foliage Trains

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by SlackControl

Small world Otto, I'm up in VT this weekend too. I was up in Bellows Falls Yesterday to catch the Northbound Vermonter pass through. Hope you're enjoying your trip.

Anyone know of any scenic railroad running passenger excursions today (Monday 10/11) somewhere in the White River Junction, Rutland, or Lake George areas? The foliage is amazing up here right now!
  by Otto Vondrak

SlackControl wrote:Anyone know of any scenic railroad running passenger excursions today (Monday 10/11) somewhere in the White River Junction, Rutland, or Lake George areas? The foliage is amazing up here right now!
Isn't that what we were just talking about?

http://www.rails-vt.com/wrf.html

Train out of White River Junction today. No train out of Rutland today (or most days, actually. Service to Rutland is for special events only, usual excursion is Bellows Falls-Chester). And "Lake George Area" is pretty widely defined, there's a 2:00pm train on the Upper Hudson River Railroad today in North Creek.

http://www.uhrr.com/index.asp?lg=1&w=pages&r=0&pid=3

You could also ride Amtrak's Adirondack or Vermonter!

-otto-
  by SlackControl

Looks like the WRJ flyer departs at 11:30. I'll give that a wirl.
  by SlackControl

Today was nice. Ended up taking the 11:30 trip on the White River Flyer. The trip is a big improvement since the last time I did it back in 05. seems like they more than doubled the distance it travels north currently. The fall colors were dazzling, and the calm waters of the Ct River added to the scene. The power was RS1 #405 on the north and five coaches. Pretty decent crowd too, the train probably left 2/3 full.

Nice photos Otto. Were those from this weekend?

On a side note, I also went to the small trolley museum in Shelburne Ma. If you are ever in the area def. stop by. They have a single restored trolley that runs back and forth through the yard. They also have another track which they have a functional pump cart which is available for the guests to try. They also have a small collection of old cars and speeders which need work. Pretty good times.
  by xtcbct

Everytime I see fall foliage trains on here, I think of the last time I rode the Willimantic, CT to Brattleboro, VT fall foliage excursion. What a fun trip that was. I'm sure many still remember it well. I hope someday it will come back, but I understand it was quite expensive the last time it ran.
  by Otto Vondrak

SlackControl wrote:Nice photos Otto. Were those from this weekend?
Thanks, yes, I grabbed those shots with my cell phone this past Sunday.

-otto-
  by LVRCboy

Nice pictures, even for a cell, the same consist was seen going through Lyndonville in '09( I found pictures, nerail I think).. Last fall train I was on was back in the late '80's, on the old LVRC...upside is ..Dad knew the engineer and I got to move the train to the next platform...I was about 14 give or take. It was really fun, I'll never forget it. nice pic's of a nice RS-1 :-D