• Northern Way

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by CN9634

Hey,
Probably many of you have seen the picture on the New England Rail photo archive (http://www.nerail.org) of a c30-7 heading North to Oakfield. I was under the impression that most 6 axle units headed west or south and not north because of track conditions, ect. Then why is this unit heading north? Has the track been upgraded/fixed? Any insight would be appriciated.
:-D [/url]

by XRails

I thought that the only restriction was on the Searsport Branch, where only double axles can run, but I am probably wrong.

by sandpvrr

Hello All,
I can confirm the 4 axle restriction on the Searsport branch, however, I am not sure about others on the system. I know of no restrictions on the former CP subs, both CDAC and NVR, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. Considering CPs love for 6 Axles though, it is reasonable to assume they could go anywhere. I do recall hearing - vaguely - that there was a restriction on the northern part of the old BAR. I personally have never seen a 6 axle north of Millinocket, obviously, one has gone further, per that photo. I wonder if perhaps the restriction is to Oakfield or Squa Pan. Either would make sense. Squa Pan does have limited tracks available though, would be hard to stash a locomotive there without cutting off switching.
Incidently, although 4 axles primarly reign from Derby south, 6 axles do make it to NMJ on a fairly regular basis - but go no further. They are used when the NMJ - Millinocket - NMJ turn (Job 202/203) has too much tonnage for a single unit, and a second 4 axle is not available.
cya, Joey

by bar358

Their used to be a restiction on tri-axles not going north of Millinocket, but I think that has changed as their were some 4-axle units in the yard at the time that the 5026 went north. I have also seen one of the WE (GATX) units go north to at least Oakfield but that was with special permisson. Only if one had a vidio cam. for some of this action....

bar358