• Central Vermont RS 11 #3601

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by svobronco

I've seen it quoted in a few places that #3601 is in private hands in Berkshire, VT. Does anyone have further info or pictures of this unit? Is it viewable by the public?

THX

Greg
  by TheJollyRailfan

All info I can find suggests its still intact and in Berkshire but I have no definite answer. As it is privately owned youll have to track down the owner if your interested in trying to get a tour or some shots of it. If you live in the area it wouldnt hurt to drive around town and search for it.
  by MikeVT

Not much in Berkshire, VT. No tracks anymore. I can ask around but it would be a shock.
  by Noel Weaver

According to the Central Vermont Railway Historical Society the 3601 is "on display at kAnna & Dick Steiniger's home, Richford, Vermont.
Noel Weaver
  by MikeVT

I'll have to check into this
  by svobronco

Great, next time I get up that way I'll have to check it out. MikeVT, if you go by there definetly take pictures.

Greg
  by oibu

I can verify that the 3601 does exist at a private residence on a side road between Richford and Berkshire. It is NOT viewable from any public location whatsoever. However, you might try looking up the gentleman and giving him a call to see if he -might- let you pay a visit. In my experience he is friendly and hospitable but I'm sure your approach and his cumulative personal experiences with others will dictate the outcome of any inquiries. Perhaps there are others more local who might be able to give more specific info.

Interesting side note, 3601 has the yellow nose version of the CV scheme (and was so painted by the CV as it looked this way before LVRC got it) but I've never come across a photo of this unit in service on the CV in this scheme. Just curious if anyone else knows of any online or in print? I've seen plenty of shots of the 3601 in service in standard Larson Green, but not with the yellow nose- I'm guessing it's service life after getting the yellow nose must've been extremely short.
  by sjl

IIRC, the owner had to have the prime mover and traction motors removed in order to make it light enough for truck transport to his home. That info was in a recent Central Vermont Railway Historical Society newsletter, perhaps 2007 or 2008 timeframe?

RLS
  by MikeVT

It’s across hwy 105 from the pine cone restaurant(so I'm told). I'm told you can see it after the leaves fall.
  by svobronco

Hmm, can' make it out on Google maps....must be hidden in the trees.....
  by MikeVT

He has the engine and several cars

There is a place on Camp Rd that looks like a possibility

I'll check with the locals ....
  by B&M 1227

While it may have the yellow CV nose now, it certainly didn't have it when CV sold it. 3601 was acquired by LVRC along with 3608 and 3612. with the latter two in active service, 3601 was needed as a parts source. This would explain the gutting of the locomotive and what was likely a lower price for the buyer. I've attached a picture of 3601 and 3612 in Morrisville after being sold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.