• Rail service to Calverton?

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by SlackControl

So, they are using the same "block and spike system" the rr used during the restoration of service through Hall a few weeks ago that got Helena and the media all excited? Haha
  by Hauspiper

JMBethpage wrote: No sign of a crossing at River Rd. yet, but piles of ties stacked nearby. .
When I was talking to some of the workers about what they plan to do is lay the rail along CT Ave to the crossing connect to the track in the crossing. Then into the grumman site they will connect it to the crossing and complete line. When this complete they will reopen the crossing and put in the gates.
Mike Arnold
US Merchant Marine
www.twinforknrhs.org
www.rmli.org
  by MrAh678

Yes the Calverton spur switch is complete, it is a right hand #10 136lb switch. It was installed on the evening of Sept. 18&19. The switch will not be put into service until RRC completes there track which includes 3 crossings and multiple switch to different businesses. And yes there is a switch going in near Yapank not sure when but I heard early spring.
  by Tommy5

does anyone have pics of the new rail in place
  by JMBethpage

I took a whole bunch of pictures but when I tried to post them here I found out the resolution is too high to be accepted by the site. Next time I go out that way I'll take some low-resolution picts and post them here.
  by Crabman1130

JMBethpage wrote:I took a whole bunch of pictures but when I tried to post them here I found out the resolution is too high to be accepted by the site. Next time I go out that way I'll take some low-resolution picts and post them here.
Try using a hosting site like Photobucket.com. It's free.
  by Tommy5

Thanks JMBethpage. I Lived on Long Island from 1991-2004 and always wondered weither they'd rebuild that spur or not. Good to see it being brought back.
  by workextra

I notice the derail protecting the spur from the main is not connected with the main track switch. Also the derail has a switch target on it which is not common practice on the LIRR.
Is this curve too sharp to connect a rod from the main track switch to throw the derail at the same time or did they plan on placing the derail further west off the main for safety reasons.

Is this company using the existing rails in conjunction with new rail or did they scrap the old stuff and are using new and reclaimed rail they brought in?
  by Teutobergerwald

Prior to this project, when was the last LIRR freight train to move over these rails? Are they re-using the old LIRR trackage, or will it all be new?
  by Shavano

The contracted company is reusing the old rail that has been on site since originally laid in the mid 50's, it's jointed together next to where the rails will be laid..
  by Shavano

The contracted company is reusing the old rail that has been on site since originally laid in the mid 50's, it's jointed together next to where the rails will be laid..
  by MrGP10

Does any have any pictures or videos of this spur? When was this line closed down?
  by SemperFidelis

And I'd like to ask again if anyone knows which customers are going to receive/ship by this spur. If someone answered and I missed it, then I apologize.

I know Sakrete has a high capacity production plant aboard the old base there and I've heard there is some sort of cold storage food warehouse out there as well. Any others?