Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by BobLI

It appears to me that the A line has the most atmosphere of all the stations of a commuter railroad.
In the early AM I see a train pull in, car cleaners go about the work of checking and cleaning cars. On the other track the conductor has 1 door open on each car on the train thats going to depart. A bell rings, the doors open and then close and off we go. It just seems like its not like a rapid transit operation, more like a commuter line last stop but with more volume of trains.
  by Head-end View

Hmmm......ghosts of the previous owner, the LIRR? Remember prior to 1956, the Rockaway Lines were owned and operated by LIRR as part of that commuter railroad.
  by darthdoosh

BobLI wrote:It appears to me that the A line has the most atmosphere of all the stations of a commuter railroad.
In the early AM I see a train pull in, car cleaners go about the work of checking and cleaning cars. On the other track the conductor has 1 door open on each car on the train thats going to depart. A bell rings, the doors open and then close and off we go. It just seems like its not like a rapid transit operation, more like a commuter line last stop but with more volume of trains.
Unless things have changed in the past couple months, that's the way it is when the Brooklyn-bound G sits in Court Square waiting to depart, as well.
  by Head-end View

Well, (chuckle!) maybe the salt air by the seaside gives it a more suburban feeling! :-D
  by Robert Paniagua

BobLI wrote:It appears to me that the A line has the most atmosphere of all the stations of a commuter railroad.
They clean the trains at the "last stop" points at all times of day/night, and the other termini procedures are also done at all terminals (eg) Coney Island, Ditmars Blvd, 207th Street (A) and so on....
  by keyboardkat

Bring back the LIRR Rockaway Beach Branch.