Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by bones

The F40's are being rebuilt because of money, or lack of.
  by CNW5022-A519

Not Good at All take this with a grain of salt but I have heard Romors that Metra Might be retiring the Mp-36s because of high maintance costs, dont take my word on this since it has not been confirmed.
  by MBTA1052

Why not get them converted to Separate HEP engines instead of Inverter?? :P
  by F40CFan

CNW5022-A519 wrote:Not Good at All take this with a grain of salt but I have heard Romors that Metra Might be retiring the Mp-36s because of high maintance costs, dont take my word on this since it has not been confirmed.
As much as that thought appeals to me, I doubt if they could do it. There's nothing to replace them. They scrapped the only viable alternatives.
  by CNW5022-A519

Yes Metra was too quick to get rid of the F40Cs and they are now paying for it bigtime.
  by Tadman

I would be very hesitant to believe rumors like that, or spread them. Do you think that Metra, a power-short carrier, would retire 10% of the locomotive fleet?

I seriously wouldn't even spread rumors like that, they make no sense at all.
  by F40CFan

I fuuly agree. However I find it interesting that rR&R is thinking that EMD is getting back into the passenger locomotive market.
  by metraRI

From what I've seen, the newest passenger locomotive on the market will be the HSP46 from MPI, with GE being involved in some form. MBTA ordered 20 of the locomotives, prototype is expected in December 2012. Only rendering I have seen is the one below, the HSP46 in the middle:
  by F40CFan

Interesting. GE was also a partner on the MP36-3S and they seem to have passed over that.
  by alasgw

GE was not involved in the MP36 at all. The 645F was sourced from GE but the upgrading and reengineering of that block was done by MPI before the MP36 program got underway. No GE engineering or money was involved.