• Horn ban lifted in Manassas

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

If you live in Manassas you may be hearing the train much more than you used to. Recently, the FRA lifted the ban that prohibited the use of air horns in Manassas. As a result, trains are now required by law to sound the horn as they are approaching and departing a station.

The FRA requires the City of Manassas to file documentation in order to reinstate a Quiet Zone. Until this occurs expect a little more noise near the City's train station.
  by cobra30689

davinp wrote:If you live in Manassas you may be hearing the train much more than you used to. Recently, the FRA lifted the ban that prohibited the use of air horns in Manassas. As a result, trains are now required by law to sound the horn as they are approaching and departing a station.

The FRA requires the City of Manassas to file documentation in order to reinstate a Quiet Zone. Until this occurs expect a little more noise near the City's train station.
oh it's just not at the station....all the xings from Quarry Rd to Wellington as well. The B-line is in my backyard(quite busy I tell you), and I was wondering why I started hearing horns all of a sudden....then the NS bulletin showed up as I was signing in the other day....always the last one to know LOL
  by strench707

NS Probably doesn't give a crap. Heck they hardly even use the line to DC. Don't they only run that train into Old Town Alexandria with the red caboose.

My question is, why was there an air horn ban in Manassas? I wouldn't think is directed at trains necessarily since they would have just enacted a quiet zone instead of an air horn ban for the whole town, wouldn't they?

Davis
  by davinp

Whistle Ban returns to Manassas

If you live in Manassas and had been hearing the train much more than you used to, you will be happy to know that the Manassas overnight restriction on train whistles has been placed back into effect. Recently, the FRA lifted the ban that prohibited the use of air horns in Manassas, but the City of Manassas file documentation in order to reinstate a Quiet Zone.
As a result, no train whistles will be blown at crossings in this area between 10pm and 7am, except in case of emergency.